Play of the month: Does your team know the new you?

We know a lot has changed during your time away from a physical office and that you’ve probably made some realizations when it comes to the ways in which you prefer to work. But do your teammates know what’s up? 🤔

Maybe you’ve shifted your working hours to accommodate a new hobby you’ve picked up. It’s possible that your preferences for all the various ways your team can reach and  communicate with you have changed. Or maybe the type of work environment you find yourself thriving in now is completely different from what it once was. Whatever the case may be, it’s important that the rest of your team knows the best way to work with the new you.

Personal user manuals not only help you and your team get to know and respect each other better, but they’ll also be helpful references as future teammates join. (And if you've made one of these in the past, now's the time to give it a refresh!) 

user manual in confluence.jpeg

We’d love to chat with you about how your work preferences and styles have changed over the past year and a half, and hear about what other important items you'll be adding to your user manual. Let us know below!

30 comments

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2021

Nice idea.

Like Kristen Roth likes this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

This could be an icebreaker among teams. Clearly a good idea!

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 2, 2021

It absolutely could be, @Alex Koxaras _Relational_! My team is planning to take a few minutes durning our weekly team meeting each week to have one person go over their User Manual with the rest of the team. It'll be a great way to learn even more about each other.

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

Yes it would definitely be a great way to learn more! I honestly believe that all teams should behave like this. Unfortunately, you can't enforce anyone to be honest and open. It's all about (company's) culture :D  

Shrikant Wagh July 2, 2021

nice idea, promote your genuine-self :-)

Attila Bódis July 5, 2021

Great and simple! :) 

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 12, 2021

This is great, especially for people who changed their work during this time. 

Reply Test Group July 18, 2021

Good idea ;)

Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
July 22, 2021

This is actually a useful idea. I had a very descriptive biography in my personal space, but I will actually implement something similar. Thank you!

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2021

Great idea to know more about your team!

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2021

I love it! Will share this with my team! :) 

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

Great Idea!

nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2021

Great idea! 

Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2021

Loving this idea! 💙 I think everyone in the company should have a page like this in the personal space.

Two things I would add:

• How you can recognize I'm not doing well
  • Things that make me happy/Things I enjoy if you like to do me a favor
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2021

This is a great exercise to know people in a squad. Thanks @Kristen Roth for sharing. I would try and let you know my feedback on this.

Cheers

Suvradip

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 3, 2021

Those are great additions, @Svenja Lorenzen !

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
August 3, 2021

Please do, @Suvradip Paul !

Prashant Sangappa Shivashimpi August 10, 2021

Hi @Kristen Roth ,

This is really excellent idea.. Great stuff.. Thanks for sharing.

BR,

Prashant.

Colum McAndrew August 11, 2021

Getting to know your workmates preferences is a great way to ensure effective communication. We're all different, but we need to remind ourselves of this. As a Manager, I'd also add that knowing what makes an employee tick is vital to getting the most out of them.

OTOR JOHN STEPHEN August 13, 2021

This is a great idea.
Every member will get to know each other very people.

Sedera Randria
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2021

I'm not sure if my teammates have all the time and are comfortable writing a personal user manual.
We frequently review team objectives + adjust Working Agreements.

Vronik September 18, 2021

Good idea, thanks !!!

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2021

I have a 'Working with Esme Handbook' in all the proposals that I send to clients, that I co-wrote with my VA. Not only does my VA know how I prefer to work, but my clients are aware front a centre of my working hours, that I prefer to communicate on Voxer, a quick reference for their timezone and mine and what'll happen if they can't attend a session.

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2021

What an excellent idea! I will try it with my team! Thanks!

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2022

Very good article. Will share with my team.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events