Team Central: Is it possible to remove a label that was created accidentally or incorrectly

Leah Picone July 16, 2021

As we are starting to circle around how we would like to implement this product, we realized that we have some labels that we don't want to use.

To prevent confusion, is it possible to remove labels that we have created?

The look up is an exact lookup, so if I have test-label, and type label, test-label does not appear - so someone might make label-test as a duplicate.

When we find that we will want to clean it up so that we are driving consistency.

2 answers

0 votes
MA July 18, 2021

Depending on your appetite for custom fields, the number of the set of labels that you want and how strictly you want to govern them, you can create a custom field with a set pick list of valid values.  We use these for managing risk through a preset list of options for risk likelihood and risk consequence.  The inbuilt labels are effectively a tag and are visible across all projects.  This can be a bit annoying if different labels are relevant to different projects.

Good luck with finding a suitable solution.

0 votes
Leah Picone July 16, 2021

It appears that if I remove all label links the label goes away.

So in theory then, my question becomes reversed:

• Q: is there away to pre-create labels for team members to use?
  • A: Create a report and define all required labels against that report.

If there is a different way, please let me know.

Mary Raleigh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2021

Hi @Leah Picone , our internal teams are asking for the same thing as we are drafting all our FY22 OKRs and projects in Team Central!

You have hit the nail on the head for the best solutions with our current capabilities. At this time there is no way to create a report and define all required labels against that report, but with the combination of some handy work across Team Central and Confluence we've built an internal solution our teams are happy with. 

1. To start, yes, you must remove the label from all projects and goals and poof, it's no longer suggested in your Team Central instance. Not quite magic or the most efficient, I know. Stay tuned though!

delete 2.gif

2. Once the label is used once, it should pre-populate as a suggestion when new projects and goals are adding labels. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 10.37.37 AM.png

3. Our program management team has created a Confluence page with label guidelines to help us understand the a. hierarchy of goals within the organization and b. the function the goal belongs to. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 10.28.47 AM.png

3. The above screenshot is our internal guidelines for labels for goals. In addition to Department Labels, we also ask teams to add Phase and Sizing labels for all projects in Team Central and have standardized via the following requirements and recommendations:

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 10.29.38 AM.png

We're actively thinking about how organizations might set and implement standardized labels across their Team Central instance. We'd love to hear more about your use case! If you have availability to chat please let me know! I can be reached at mary@atlassian.com. 

Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 18, 2021

What kinds of things does labels you want to pre-create represent, @leah ? is departments? themes? programs? 

Just trying to better understand the context as we might be working on some features that could help this in the longer term - we're trying to pull in org hierarchy to make it easier to create, connect with and report on projects and goals and I'm unsure in your scenario is labels being used to represent this? 

Like Mary Raleigh likes this
Leah Picone July 19, 2021

Hi @Sherif Mansour 

That's what we are trying to determine. Understanding that clicking on the label actually presents a label dashboard was very helpful.

Knowing that this is a product in development, I am trying to control my enthusiasm for adding features. But since you asked :) 

1. Why pre-create labels?
    • Mostly because I would like to control the confusion that incorrectly created, labeled items cause. We can establish the hierarchy and define how others should use it.
    • Our roadmaps have:
      • Work Tracks: high-level themes:
        • Platform Services (ie: standardized enabling services used by all products)
      • Work Subtracks: mid-level themes:
        • Org Services (authentication protocols)
      • Theme: Program 
        • Org / Identity
      • Capability:
        • Data Standardization
        • Licensing and Provisioning
        • Platform Maintenance
      • Feature:
        • Upgrade integration for new SalesForce version (Let's say this is for Data Standardization)

I imagine at any point in time, someone will want to see how the progress is being made at any of the bold items. Based on the current functionality we are thinking that we would do:

• Feature = Projects
  • Capability = Label
  • Theme = different Label (not Capability)

We were looking at how we might be able to use Goals to do some level of this also, but I think that I am starting to move way from that thinking.

I am pondering if I have the desire for any type of prioritization values of projects also, but we are still working through the thinking. We are creating Projects in Pending status as we ramp up, and it might be helpful to understand when they should start, as we are only able to say when they should end.

Like Mary Raleigh likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events