A preview into Team Central pricing

Thank you for all your questions, compliments and feedback. We want to be a product and team you can bet on. 

We're so excited and overwhelmed with all the positive feedback we've gotten from everyone after @Mike Cannon-Brookes announced Team Central at the Team '21 Day 1 Keynote. Thank you so much for all your messages, questions and enthusiasm. We're committed to building an amazing experience that will make us all laugh at how inefficient we used to be at communicating and connecting across teams (like when we all owned Nokias and thought T9 predictive texting was an efficient way to communicate laugh).

We're learning that teams are excited to try Team Central but looking for more clarity around our future pricing model. While we don't have a definitive pricing plan to share with you today, in true Open Company, No BS; we want to share with you how we are thinking about pricing Team Central so you can be confident in making a bet on us when you tell your neighboring teams to try Team Central. 

Today's price: All features are FREE for all users

Today, we are in beta which means all features are free for all users of your Jira and Confluence site. This will not change until we transition out of beta into general availability (timeline tbd) and we promise to give you at least 6 months notice of what the price will be, with clear paths to opt-out, before cost is incurred. 

Future price: We're still exploring and leaning towards a structure similar to Trello's pricing model

As we transition into general availability (timeline TBD) we will rollout a tiered pricing plan. We are still working on the details of our pricing plan but expect it to be akin to Trello’s pricing structure where tiers are defined by a combination of feature availability and user limits. We can’t promise anything but in the spirit of transparency, here is what we think will likely happen:

• What you have today will remain free in terms of features with a possible user or feature usage limit (e.g. 100 projects). We have not decided what these usage limits are yet, and welcome any feedback on this area.

• Like Jira and Confluence, we will add standard and premium features which will be targeted more for organizations who have specific requirements to tailor Team Central to their culture (e.g. custom fields, private projects etc…)

What we can commit to is that whatever we land on will be in-line with Atlassian’s transparent and cost-effective pricing philosophy. For more context (or if you're just one of the many #Sherif-Superfans) watch this video from Team Central’s Head of Product, @Sherif Mansour

Please do share your feedback, questions and pipe dreams in this thread! We're excited you're on this journey with us. 

17 comments

Comment

Jordon Cissna April 29, 2021

Really looking forward to this, great job Mary/Team. 

Like # people like this
Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

Hi @Mary Raleigh , 

I understand that the pricing model is still something you need to figure out. But will you lean to pricing  per contributing user (project managers, like Confluence) and will viewing users be free (a bit like customers in JSM) or will you need a license for all users?

By the way, great and clear presentation during Team'21, thanks.

Like # people like this
Mary Raleigh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2021

Thanks for the kind words @Rudy Holtkamp !

We are exploring both pricing models you've suggested and I will certainly keep you updated as we learn more and start making decisions. 

We'd love to hear how you plan to use Team Central with your team and incorporate your ways of working and expectations into our pricing analysis. If you have more thoughts around how your team would use it and what you think a fair pricing model would be please do share your thoughts in a comment on this thread or e-mail me at mary@atlassian.com.

Mary

Tracy Walton May 4, 2021

Is there any thought to connecting Projects in Team Central with the work that is being tracked in Jira? Or is the vision to keep these two products separate? Are there pilot customers who are using Team Central and Jira together?  

Thanks!

Like Billie Herman likes this
Paul Benario May 6, 2021

This would be considered it's own product, and not bundled into Jira or Confluence Premium pricing, right? 

Like Mary Raleigh likes this
Mary Raleigh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2021

@Paul Benario , when it comes to pricing, yes we expect that Team Central's paid versions will be packaged separately from Jira or Confluence (but again still early days). Having said that we do plan to have a generous free tier that will enable all of your Jira and Confluence users to benefit from the outward communication practices powered by Team Central. 

Paul Benario May 6, 2021

Interesting. So we'd be able to license some people for it without licensing all in that case. I'm curious if that would mean we'd need to license the users (actively in it) not just the consumers of the output

Mary Raleigh
Atlassian Team
May 6, 2021

Hi @Tracy Walton

If I had a penny for every time we get this question wink

Our wonderful Product Manager, @Rachel Lin just published this comprehensive post to try to answer your question. Let me know if it that does the job! 

In regards to pilot customers, we are now accepting applications for teams who want to trial our newest Team Central features as part of our early access program. You can apply to join the program here.

Mary

Like Tracy Walton likes this
Mary Raleigh
Atlassian Team
May 6, 2021

@Paul Benario , we're pretty early in the pricing explorations but the initial hypothesis is that we want to keep our pricing model as clear and easy to grok as Jira's per user pricing. There are currently no plans to set and price different "roles" within Team Central. I'll keep you posted as we learn more!

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2021

@Mary Raleigh you mention that a potential "premium" feature would be private projects. Can you clarify what's available for the free tier? Are projects completely public (i.e. available to the world), or public in the sense that they're available to all logged-in users, and a private project would allow you to lock down access further?

Like Paul Benario likes this
Mary Raleigh
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2021

Hi @Esther Strom ! Great question, thanks for requesting a clarification. In the free tier we expect all projects will be public in that they are available to all logged-in users to see. Your cloud site will remain 100% secure so no project would be visible to the public. And yes, a private project (likely in the premium tier) would allow you to lock down access to a specific list of users.

Let me know what further questions I can help answer!

Like Esther Strom likes this
Sarah Waters July 19, 2021

Hello :) Now we are a few months down the road from when this post was originally made, I was wondering is there any update on potential pricing models yet, or even just a timeline of when this might be expected?

Thanks!

Mary Raleigh
Atlassian Team
July 20, 2021

@Sarah Waters  great timing! We are in the throes of our pricing strategy as we speak. I'm hopeful we'll have something to share in early 2022. 

TotalPayne September 16, 2021

@Mary Raleigh It's now been two more months since you last mentioned anything about timelines. Our organization is currently going through our budgeting process to plan for 2022. Do you have any additional information you can share at this time? If you announced pricing in early 2022, then can we assume that we would have six months from that point before having to incur costs? I'm just trying to ballpark how many months of cost might be accrued against 2022. 

Like # people like this
Mary Raleigh
Atlassian Team
September 16, 2021

@TotalPayne , thanks for following up! You hit the nail on the head. We are hoping to announce pricing in early 2022 and plan to give everyone 6 months from that the announcement date before anyone is charged. I promise we are working VERY hard on making this deadline and will not surprise you with any unforeseen costs or by charging you immediately. 

Like # people like this
Jake Wauchope August 1, 2022

Hi @Mary Raleigh

I'm a little late to the party here... but is there any updates on Atlas pricing? We're thinking of using it but want to have an understanding of the pricing plan before we commit to getting the whole company on board.

Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2022

Yep @Jake Wauchope ! Pretty similar to what was shared in this Community post is what we landed with. Here are all the details: https://www.atlassian.com/software/atlas/pricing 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events