Access restrictions for projects

Hey there,

great product from what I see so far. I know that "open company, no bullshit" is one Atlassian's your core values but I'm not sure whether that applies to "ALL" projects, especially when sensitive information should be shared, but not with the entire organization.

So the question is: Is there a way to restrict access to individual Team Central projects, have I just missed it, or is this not going to ever happen? 

Use case: I would like to track a project that would include info that must not be shared outside of the organization (bound by NDA). To reduce the risk, I need to share the info with just a few people (that have signed the NDA). What would be the alternative approach? Keep that info in a dedicated Team central instance/org? The thing is, I would love to have updates on the project in my Monday morning digest, but if we can't restrict it, we need to track status elsewhere.

Thanks for any kind of thought,

Christian

7 comments

Comment

Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2021

Hey @Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_

Thanks for the question! Totally spot on - we generally try to be open, by default - but that doesn't mean everything is open. A big difference there.

Today in Team Central, we don't have the ability to restrict project or goal visibility, but the use case makes total sense and one we want to tackle in the future. I've note that internally here, but yes, something which we would like to do. Lots of other use cases such as HR projects, M&A and that kind of stuff. Rest assured, it's in our todo list! 

The only alternative approach is to spin up a new Team Central for this, but totally agree, not one I'd encourage as we do think the whole purpose of Team Central is to have one central place for your org.

To help set expectations, I can't foresee us getting to this until possibly the tail end of this calendar year - but as usual, can't guarantee it....(see what I did there, trying to be open company as much as possible!)

Like # people like this
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2021

Hey @Sherif Mansour , long time no see :-)

Thanks for the quick reply and for being open! I'll keep that in mind when setting up our structure.

Like Sherif Mansour likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2021

Thanks @Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_ for posting this, and @Sherif Mansour for the very transparent reply.

We are in the beginning stages of piloting this with a small group and this exact quest was asked specifically around the HR use case.

The expectation is that when others start to see what a small group in R&D has been able to accomplish there may be interest in this expanding to other areas of our organization.

This gives me the information I need to set expectations appropriately!

Like Sherif Mansour likes this
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2021

Thank you for your feedback, @Jimmy Seddon 

Feedback noted, feel free to let us know how your pilot goes and if there is any way we can help!

Atle Bjelland January 12, 2022

Happy new year everyone.

@Sherif Mansour do you have any update on this? We are waiting to roll this out for a wider audience until we can lock down certain projects for certain teams. As mentioned by others there will always be some projects that are sensitive in nature and should not be open to the 500+ employees.

Thanks

Atle Bjelland January 19, 2022

@Sherif Mansour In case you missed this. Any updates?

Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
January 30, 2022

Thanks for reaching out @Atle Bjelland

So sorry for the late reply, I've been on leave this month enjoying the 🏖!

I can tell you that

1. We would like to do this as soon as we can. 
2. This is likely to be a paid feature of Team Central - yet to be confirmed, but Team Central will likely follow the same pricing models as other products Free (what you experience today), standard and premium editions - with restrictions being one of those features in the paid editions. 
3. As mentioned in my earlier comment, we  didn't end up getting to it before the end of last calendar year, however we have a better line of sight now. Our current hope is that we would like to have something by mid this calendar year. Stay tuned.

Trying to share as much as possible to help you plan, please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you plan or accomodate this.

Sherif

Like Josh Hammond likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events