Depreciate Calendar for standard

Christian Haase November 19, 2020

we as a company a very unhappy that the calendar functionallity will be depreciated for standard licensee!

Only a view teams in our group are using the calendar funcionallity, but it is indispensable for those teams.

We are NOT a development acengy (although we have about 200 atlassian users) but our main goal is selling motorcycles. Although we are developing some of our projects by our small development team, we kind of depend on tools like Atlassian. Functionallity in the cloud is by far not so comprehensive as it used to be on our on premise installation, but we can kind of live with it or better we learned to live with it (we still miss own developed macros).

But now a forced upgrade to a premium using your trial is just not a nice trick (I just don't want to use stronger wording here) (we do not want too, because just for a calender functionallity paying 8000 US-$ a year is just not worth it). WE DON'T NEED the premium account! but we need the CALENDAR!

We for sure will analyse other tools on the market,

hope that message reaches the contact person 

a very unhappy and unsatisfied customer (not because of the functionallity you offer, but on the pricing structure and policy over last years).

4 comments

Comment

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2020

@Christian Haase  A long time ago (before premium) we used to pay for the Atlassian calendar plugin but moved to Yasson's Calendar as it offered more including O365 integration. Have you thought of moving to that?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1217554/outlook-calendars-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Art

Like # people like this
Jens November 23, 2020

Hi Christian

I believe Atlassian is acting unethically here. They remove a feature from Standard, then upgrade your license to a much more expensive plan. It requires action from you as the customer to NOT get a more expensive product than what you have signed up for.

They did the exact same thing in Jira Service Desk with the automation. They bought a company that provided an automation plugin. Then removed the plugin, put the functionality in Premium and auto-upgraded the customers who had bought the plugin.

I don't understand how they can think this is good business practice. Premium is double the cost of Standard and auto-upgrading customers is borderline illegal. I am sure they have checked that they are within the legal limits, but forcing customers to opt-out of a 100% price increase is dodgy.

I've lost all faith in Atlassian as a company a long time ago. Right now the only thing keeping us on their platform is the effort it will take to move. As more of these cases keep popping up the hassle of staying on the platform will be greater than the effort to move.

Best regards
Jens

Like Christian Haase likes this
Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2021

I am also very unhappy with this decision from Atlassian.

We are not huge users of Team Calendars, and I think that we could make do without it by embedding Google calendars on pages.

However, there are now a number of Confluence features that are only available in the Premium plan and I think that not allowing customers to "pick 'n' mix" the features that meet their needs best is going to be detrimental in the long run.

There surely isn't a technical benefit to moving Team Calendars into the Premium plan so the upshot is that customers currently paying for it as an app are now being forced to pay a heck of a lot more just because it is part of a larger bundle.

The fact that Atlassian can, on a whim, remove an app from the Marketplace and only make it available to customers on a plan that is twice the price worries me. We're currently staring at our self-hosted instances becoming end-of-life in a few years and therefore facing a very important decision - stick with Atlassian or move to other products.

I'll be very frank here - while this specific change may not affect us too much, the fact that it is happening may push us harder to looking at non-Atlassian products rather than take a risk on what other decisions Atlassian may make down the line that would affect us ...

hilarydub
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2021

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We recognize that this is not an optimal change for all of our customers, and we hope to add more value to Confluence so that our plans will accommodate all of our customers.

If you need assistance with deactivating team calendars, your Premium trial, or have more questions, you can reach out to support.atlassian.com. Please also refer to our FAQs.

As the PM on Confluence Editions, I'd be happy to get your feedback directly if you still have questions or concerns - you can book a slot with me here.

Like Monique vdB likes this
FRAGITSA August 14, 2022

from what i understand this has not yet happened though right? calendars are only available to premium users?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events