Next-gen...is it getting real?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2020

I started off my day this morning with coffee and the news (depressing...the news not the coffee) and began to reflect on the previous days Remote 2020 Summit sessions and particularly what I heard on Next-gen (NG).

As a cloud user now for 4 years I feel I'm pretty well established with the platform and honestly I love it. Do I love everything? Most certainly not but I can't imagine a better solution for my needs. One thing I have struggled with over the past year has been Next-gen but I will say with each passing day I find myself saying - well that's neat or wow that is really clean and simple! Still, I have not fully embrace and only a few 'less serious' projects have found their way into my instance. However, I really want to see this succeed and two sessions yesterday showed promise that my hopes will come true.

First, in the Keynote it was very clear that Atlassian is driving to re-engineer their products into a more unified portfolio. This includes simplification efforts like NG. Without a doubt NG was front and center during the keynote and Atlassian is all-in on continuing to add features to ensure adoption. Second, I attended a product session (Shape the Future of Jira Software) and was quite impressed with not only the transparency from Brian and Ivan but also what they have added and will be adding in the future (Roadmap). On thing I really liked (new) that I say was the ease of allowing individuals to set their own notifications. Blew away the complexity of Classic for sure.

My main remaining concerns on NG is best summarized by this statement - I worry that I will get a project stood up on NG and use if for several months only to find I'm really stuck and cannot achieve the things I need to (automation, post functions, validations, conditions, security, etc). My only recourse being to migrate to Classic which would be a downer.

My bet is that by Summit 2021 I will be using NG more regularly. Time will tell.

What do others think about NG.

5 comments

Comment

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2020

Compared to Classic, NG is very suitable for niewbie, especially new administrators who are not familiar with Jira. I am not sure whether the Atlassian team will eventually introduce NG in the server / data center, but I am looking forward it!

JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2020

As much as I love NG, I'd say it's hard to tell. When I heard roadmaps were coming to classic projects, my first thought was "cool!", followed by "interesting".

NG has stood the test of time so far, and lasted longer than Jira Ops, but I can't tell if it is the future, or a fantastic learning experiment, where they'll bring all the cool stuff, the roadmaps, the ability to add new statuses, less confusing schemes, back to classic.

I think product managers for both next gen and classic have a challenge, and I hope next gen is the future, but surely there won't be two types of project forever...

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 3, 2020

I love the way you put this @Jack Brickey.  It describes my feelings as well.  I have one Next-Gen project, that I use for my own work because in it's current state Next-Gen would just frustrate my users.  However, I agree with you can every week (or two) I'm noticing something new in Next-Gen that makes me say "Wow, that's amazing!  I can't wait to see what they do next!"

I think Next-Gen has a long way to go before it will be something the majority of our users adopt, but like you I can't wait to see the improvements they make over the next year! 

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 3, 2020

I hope NG comes to Service Desk projects as well by next summit. I still use classic as it gives you super powers for configuring  workflows &  permissions for a Jira project. 

JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2020
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2020

I like the idea of NG and I think it can be nice for teams that are less technical. Being a developer I, however, really like the customizability of class projects. Of course with more customizability comes more complexity, which is why I feel that NG is more for teams that just don't want to have to figure out all the complexities of classic and don't need/want all the features. If they even bring it to server or data-center I don't see us using it much.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events