Issue Type = Epic and Summary = "Atlassian Summit 2020" and status= cancelled and labels = COVID-19

Bharath Kumar Kappala
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2020

I just learned a few minutes ago that the summit 2020 is suspended, although this is in good interest of all of our health I am sad that this would not be happening. I had a lot of plans and to-dos already listed down. I had a lot of fun during last years summit and it was pretty informative I was all excited to make it to the summit again this year. 

I hope the Virtual session would be informative as well.

Just wanted to open a discussion and hear all the community members thoughts on the suspension. 

9 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2020

Honestly I think I'm still in shock over the news myself.  Obviously, I'm disappointed.  I also attended last year's Summit and I 100% agree with you @Bharath Kumar Kappala about the value it provided. 

Some of the main things I was hoping to get out of the Summit this year I will probably now turn to the Community to ask some of the questions I was hoping to get answer for.

The lack of a Summit doesn't change or colour my opinion about Atlassian.  They are a fantastic company, with an amazing set of products and I know the decision to cancel the in-person portion of the Summit was not something they did without careful consideration.

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2020

I'm particularly grateful for the community this morning. Nothing beats getting to hang out with people face-to-face, but I'm really glad Atlassian has created a space for us to talk year round. :)

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 4, 2020

I am very disappointed.

Image result for flat cat

The value of Summit for me can never be replicated in a virtual Summit - though I know that will have a lot of value for many people.

It is a double-disappointment for me as I was looking forward to the Community Leader events even more than the Summit itself. (Not to mentioned the freedom of having no toddler-related duties for a few days).

Like # people like this
Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 5, 2020

It is definitely upsetting. I lived and breathed Summit for almost 5 months. As vendors, we work hard to put our best foot forward. 

But I'm sure that none of our grief is anything compared to what the Atlassian team must be going through right now. 

There's nothing anybody can do in a situation like this, especially if it's health-related.  We should be thankful it wasn't cancelled 2 or 3 days in advance (many events have been cancelled last minute). 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2020

I think this is such an eloquent response. :) Thanks, Poorvi.

Like Poorvi Jhawar likes this
Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
March 5, 2020
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2020

Same here .. this was going to be our first ever Summit. As @Poorvi Jhawar  we too have worked hard on quite a few goals to be achieved during Summit.

I seek  solace in the Atlassian Community website  until next Summit :)

Like # people like this
Jakob Bak March 5, 2020

Anyone knows when the 2021 Summit will take place? I have a confirmation that it'll be in Vegas again.

Having the dates would also make me (and possibly others) able to change already booked but non-refundable flight tickets.

Like Bharath Kumar Kappala likes this
Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2020

@Jakob Bak , I’m sure it’s much too soon for a new date to have been established, but also confident that when it is confirmed we’ll know. Hopefully your airline allows for a one year credit carryover. 

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2020

I will of course echo the sentiments here. I was (am) disappointed, but understand it’s in everyone’s best interest. 
I also found out today that my company is suspending all travel for at least a month, so one way or another I would not have made it. 
I was really looking forward to tackling unsuspecting vendor reps with hard-hitting questions and opinions about the quality or functionality of their products. It’s just not the same trying to do so in a JSD issue submission 😉

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2020

Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

I'm sure we're going to find ways to make the most of the Virtual Summit. I'm going to be brainstorming for what Gliffy can do to show up for you guys all day... Let me know if you have any ideas. :)

On a human level, my LinkedIn profile is always creep-able and I'm kind of a dork about networking, so feel free to reach out! I learn a ton from all of you. Otherwise, see ya in the comments sections of Community!

Like Kat Warner likes this
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2020

While I am bummed about it being cancelled, I am taking advantage of the fact that the virtual summit will be free to promote it to others in my team, or even "power" end users. So its likely that we will actually have a larger "attendance" then we would have had if it was the physical event at least for the sessions.

Will miss the social aspect to it though. But it depends on how Atlassian runs the virtual conference. I have been "at" some that try to make it feel like less like a webinar and more like a conference. With virtual chat "lounges", vendor "displays", with a immersive interface that while not quite VR was more then just watching a presentation.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
March 5, 2020

Image result for silver linings gif -playbook

:)

Inayat N March 5, 2020

For years I've asked my company to send me to Atlassian Summit, but they always refused.  So I decided this time I would pay my own way and go this year, since I had never been.  

I was looking at hotels rate a few days ago on the usual travel sites, and Mandalay Bay was going for $300 nightly and Luxor around $120.  Then yesterday I saw the same hotels on the Summit dates going for $65 and $30 nightly.  I was about to book and didn't know about the cancellation yet.  Glanced at the Summit website to make sure I had the right dates, and then saw the bad news.

For those you cannot get out of bookings, hope you enjoy your time in Vegas.  I would consider going now just because the hotel rates are an incredible bargain on those dates.  Will there be any informal meet ups for those that are going? 

Hope the Virtual Summit is a success.  

Like Kat Warner likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events