Day 1: Unleash the Potential of All Teams

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 31, 2020

The theme of the first day of Remote Summit and the day one keynote is "Unleash the Potential of All Teams" 

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 4.23.16 PM.png

Give us your thoughts, reviews, plans, ideas, Tweet-worthy takeaways, and moments of inspiration here.  How will you use what you've learned to Unleash the Potential of your team?

17 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2020

Great question!  Our Development and IT Operations teams clash a lot.  Based on the topics alone: "Unifying work", "Change faster when Dev and IT change together" & "Unify work across all teams with Atlassian".  I'm hoping to come away from the Summit with suggestions for our leadership team as to how they can break down the barriers that are causing friction and get our Dev and Ops groups to realize we are all on the same team with common goals and things will work better for everyone when we are all moving in the same direction.

Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2020

I'm so excited for tomorrow!! 😍

I'm curious about communication and policies across an enterprise level — when should you require all teams to use the same tools? When should you let them decide for themselves? 

Hearing from St. Jude's perspective will be extremely interesting. The work they do is so important, but I know medical data has to be treated with a lot of caution. It seems like a particularly difficult case to be working across a global team.

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2020

Self-drive is important.

Development team needs to find ways to improve work efficiency, which can make work and life more balanced. For example, how to better use Atlassian products to improve the automation of research and development processes and the integration of operation and maintenance, so that we have more time to think and Improve more valuable content.

scott_boisvert
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2020

Really looking forward to the keynotes today. Given what is going on in the world today, remote work is obviously much more prevalent. Company's have had to jump through hoops and make tremendous strides over the last few weeks (not just the first liners, fighting the virus) but those in IT. Moving brick and mortar organizations online. Implementing new technologies and practices. After all is said and done, I feel companies are going to realize the benefits of remote and global work and the flow back into the office isn't going to happen on the scale many are anticipating. Scott's keynote on the unifying work across remote and global teams is going to be an interesting one I feel will tie in what's happening now and what it will lead to.

Ramanathan Yegyanarayanan April 1, 2020

Unleash the Potential of All Teams - The keynote is going to be definitely an eye opener for all members of the agile team who develop and deliver valuable software. its going to be a round up of all important updates on atlassian products.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2020

I love the theme of the day 1 theme, as we know employees are an organizations most precious resources. However if we unleash them, they can live to their potential and beyond. Employees feel valued and rise to the occasion. 

In the keynote seeing the differences in Dev (left) and IT(right) and how they adapt in a workflow. Putting Dev and IT on the same platform, to get the changes into production with less friction between groups.  No more finger pointing or delays in getting changes through. Approvals can be done in one view. Bring Dev and IT together to resolve incidents quickly, and learn from that incident. When teams work together, they understand their various roles, and how each teams bring value. Working together without placing blame. Ultimately making a difference for their clients and keeping services running smoothly.

Untitled.png

A modern company is agile and has agility at the centre of the way it operates. Every single team (not just Dev and IT) changes the way they work together, all the way through to the customer - they ship faster, act on feedback faster and respond to change faster and together. Ultimately unleashing the potential of all teams.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 2, 2020

The biggest barriers between Dev and Ops in my experience (in multiple organisations) are senior management and organisational inertia.

Team members with enthusiasm to facilitate change are warned not to "rock the boat" or are seen as trouble makers when they are willing to publicly ask for actionable steps when they are expected to sit quietly through another "the future is Dev-Ops" meeting.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like Fabienne Gerhard likes this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 3, 2020

Agree with @Kat Warner !

What you often hear is - we did it this way and it worked for so many years so "WHY CHANGE?"

But what came to my mind on during day 1 (not only then but I was strengthened in my opinion) is that it is also about communication and understanding! It's hard to understand the different department teams - and the tools from atlassian can really help to get the teams understanding each other better. Hopefully.... and so shipping the boat faster with full potential. That's where I was encouraged to do so! 

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2020

Aside from the glitch halfway though. Was ok. Really felt like the Server/BTF users were left out. Just about everything listed was cloud features only. Nothing there for Server users unless I missed something.

I know cloud is the focus, but through us On prem users a few crumbs at least, Or is Atlassian trying to tell us something about the future of the product...

And now its getting silly. "Fun in trello?" "Partnership with Giphy?" "Celebrations" in trello? Seriously? Thats what you highlight? Maybe I am just too old...

johndpatton April 1, 2020

I found it hard to watch once i knew it was not live... #embrace-remote

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 1, 2020

@johndpatton It's interesting, I feel like it shouldn't make that big of a difference and yet somehow it feels different! 

Like johndpatton likes this
Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 1, 2020

I loved that being a non-technical team member, I didn't feel left out. Even though I don't use Bitbucket or Jira Service Desk, I could understand the value of the updates which I could share with my customers and team members. 

I enjoyed that ALL TEAMS were addressed. There was something for everyone. 

I hope to use the roadmaps feature, certainly most excited about that. 

Reviews: 

- The keynote speech was engaging and informative

- I wish the experience on the platform itself was slightly better, in terms of engagement and the interface wasn't too intuitive. Maybe live polls, or no. of viewers tuned in at the time or live commenting where you can read interactions from other viewers would've been great. 

I look forward to Day 2! :)  

Like Monique vdB likes this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2020

I loved the part about the children's hospital - very emotional and a big proof for Atlassian's social commitment.

What I did not love is, that almost everything was about cloud. I fear, I have to convince my company sooner or later of thinking at least about this.

Like # people like this
johndpatton April 2, 2020

What's good for Day 2?

Day 1 was cool but I miss that live vibe

- Can we get Dom Price to Zoom in and dance live?

Happy.jpg

Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2020

I like the way day 1 opened, it was very much like the feel of being in person while playing on my tv and home theater. I wish there would have been a pre-recorded "opening" like all the cool dances we've had, but I also appreciate cutting the fluff for the sake of our time.

It did seem like there were some "breakout sessions" that were forced on us during the keynote, and I struggled to see how they were relevant, but I sat through them none the less. :)

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2020

I liked the speech from Raj Sarkar about Unify work! I liked the new features! But unfortunately I had to find out that it's all about cloud products again. 

Valerie Palmer April 2, 2020

The keynote was engaging and I was able to sit through the entire session which is hard for me to keep my focus for that long!  Fortunately we use cloud products so quite a bit of it was relevant.  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2020

During many of the sessions it came thru loud and clear that Atlassian is focusing more an more on building software solutions that span well beyond software development. While this concept certainly is not new, we have hear it at previous Summits and read it in the Community or seen in blogs, this year's sessions seem to have turned it up to 11. One key example is with all of the templates that are being delivered across many of the products, Jira and Confluence particularly. Focusing on HR, Finance, Facilities, Marketing, Operations, etc.

I am using Jira, JSD and Confluence along with a handful of addons to embrace all aspects of how my company works today and folks really seem to be adopting it across the board.

Atlassian has come a long way from being a software development bug and task tracker. :-)

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 3, 2020

Yeah there was potential for all teams already before.. It was build originally for software development but I used this for many more things .. Suddenly also Atlassian noticed that Jira is not only for developers.. But huge effort was also done by 3rd party addons that filled many gaps.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2020

There is a great looking group of people 5 minutes and 8 seconds into the keynote! Love seeing the picture we took at last year's community leader workshop.

I'm a huge fan of automation. I'm glad that Automation was added to Jira Cloud. Crossing my fingers that they also add it to server.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

I am glad that Atlassian is now offering products for free.  I have some many friends and colleagues that I talk to about the product but they end up using something that is inferior because it is free.  Soon they are invested in the product and using it in their company and complaining about the shortcomings when it comes to teamwork.  Now they will have the opportunity to use Jira, Confluence, Service Desk, etc. and see how well their teams can work together

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events