Summit Europe 2018: Key takeaways from our Community Champions

Community group.JPG

Summit Europe 2018 is in the books, and while we’re still glowing (read: happy and tired) from the days’ events, we thought we’d check in with our Community Champions to talk about their key takeaways.

In their own words:

@Walter Buggenhout

I had the honour to moderate one of the round table sessions at the Community workshop. I have quite a bit of experience in meetings and workshops of all kinds, but I was still amazed at the amount of really valuable feedback from very different angles that came out in only an hour. As a result, I also had the opportunity to speak to several people in person afterwards and I am very happy to have many smart, lovely and interesting people to my friends list.

But the most remarkable thing for me was still to come, then. I felt and still feel that I need to do something with all the information I collected during the session. In the spirit of 'be the change you seek' find the right way to get something going to make the Atlassian Community and - by extension - the entire ecosystem a better place than it already is. So at the Community Dinner later that evening, I stepped into my bravest shoes and went up to Mike Cannon-Brookes to talk to him about it. And I got to know a really authentic, accessible guy that invited me to send my feedback directly to him. Something I will definitely do as soon as I can. And I am secretly looking forward to what that might lead to.

Stepping up to Mike was quite a personal challenge for me. It took me no less than five Summits to finally find the courage. And one of the first things I mentioned to him, was the impostor syndrome that he explains so beautifully in this TED talk. And what I take away is that stepping out of your comfort zone really leads to great experiences.

@Bastian Stehmann

I could spend only short time on the community workshop, but for my takeaway is having met the other contributors to community in real life, because for me it is completely different thing to do something with people I know in real life to do the same thing with people I know only as avatars.

Also having the chance to meet and talk to some of you Atlassians was great, because that was the chance to give some direct feedback.

@miikhy

Summit was a blast!

My 3-4 key takeaways would be:

Meeting with Community Team and finally having memories associated with names instead of avatars :)

Learning more about the ecosystem, not only Atlassian (Slack, Google presentation about Bitbucket...)

Learning from my peers (Atlassian Experts) and how they work, what kind of habits they have with the tools

Hearing from Apps developers on the roadmap, the way they publish new features and what to expect!

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Getting to meet people I've never met, despite having been online with them for years.

Seeing old friends, and making new ones.

Talking to people who have fresh ways of looking at stuff, new and interesting problems and solutions.

I guess there should be something about Atlassian in here really, so I'll say that they're good hosts, organising a load of stuff that gets people together.

@carolyn french

The Atlassian community is full of smart, honest, and relatable folks who are a joy to get to know in-person in addition to online. For me, one of the most valuable things I walked away with from Summit, is that connection, whether it be other implementation teams that offer use cases and guidance or other Champions that I look up to and have a lot in common with. Gaining that fresh perspective and renewed energy is absolutely a great reason to attend Summit.

@Jack Brickey

It was especially nice to reconnect with Champions I had met last year but even more so the new ones I met at this Summit. To me this connection with others is what is at the top of my list for reasons to go to Summit. … DO NOT MISS SUMMIT 2019!!

12 comments

Comment

Angela Smith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2018

And all of you are the reason that we love our jobs over here at Atlassian!!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2018

@Angela Smith Too true — and congrats on a stellar event, Angie!

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2018

Thanks to all the Atlassian that made Summit so awesome!

Walter, I'm inspired to hear your story about stepping outside your comfort zone. One thing that has helped me immensely to attempt the same is how welcoming and respectful everyone is- truly a culture that is cultivated purposefully. 

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2018

Hi Champions

It was great experience meeting you all during the summit :). 

Like @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] mentioned, the happiest moment I had in Summit Europe was meeting the community legends whom I have been interacting since years :). 

You guys rock.

Looking forward to meet you all again in coming summits.

Cheers, Vishnu.  

Darline Auguste
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 17, 2018

Couldn't agree more with @Angela Smith! Such a pleasure to interact with everyone and watch all of the amazing conversations/connections that took place :)

Ricky Aladort February 19, 2019

My team will be at Atlassian Summit 2019 for the first time. We'd like to engage with the community to learn from others and share our experiences with the platform. How does a team get invited to Community Day?

Like Erica Moss likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2019

@Ricky Aladort Hey, Ricky! We love the enthusiasm. 😄 Community Day is limited to our top contributors, but we will have a stellar Community lounge where you can meet the team and find out more ways to get involved. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Ricky Aladort February 27, 2019

@Erica Moss Thank you for the reply.  Do you have a recommendation for the best event at Summit to discuss some of our uses cases and how we might improve our use of Confluence and Jira? Unfortunately, the Summit website doesn't really provide information on these types of gatherings other than Community Day.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2019

@Ricky Aladort I think the schedule of events is still being finalized, so my best advice would be to visit each of those dedicated booths and talk to the team directly!

Ricky Aladort March 8, 2019

@Erica Moss My team signed up for the Jira /Confluence Together training when we registered and there was no indication of Cloud or Server (We are cloud customers). Now that the schedule has been posted, the training now says "Server Customers Only." Is this training still applicable to us or do we need to request a refund? Additionally, we're disappointed that there seems to be very few cloud training's available.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2019

@Ricky Aladort Hi, Ricky — I dug into this a bit more for you, and the team confirmed that the trainings will be cloud-friendly!

Ricky Aladort March 18, 2019

@Erica Moss Thank you.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events