My (Virtual) Summit Experience

It has been a couple of weeks since Summit, and as disappointed as I was to not be there in-person I was beyond grateful for the virtual experience, as it (almost) felt like I was there!

Props to the fabulous Atlassian team for the incredible Virtual Summit experience. The online platform felt a bit like virtual reality. When you first logged in you entered the huge conference lobby. Next you had the choice to watch keynote presentations, break out sessions and News Desk sessions. These sessions could be watched live or on-demand so that time zone wasn't a factor. The webcast software was crisp, clear and seamless, and you could interact with other participants throughout. The speakers were engaging, and shared excellent stories and content. As an example, I enjoyed Shawn Achor's keynote presentation so much that I went out to the library the day after and borrowed his three books. 

IMG_8525.JPG

I love gamification so I was so excited to see that there were 19 badges that you could earn throughout the week by watching sessions, interacting, and doing various challenges that made the learning experience that much more fun. As you can tell by the leader board many of us were quite competitive, do you agree Andy?! ;) 

badges.png

Hard to believe, but there was even a virtual trade show where you could interact with sponsors and learn about their products and services.

sponsors.png

As well there were Atlassian Product stations where you could interact, learn, and download product information. I learned so much!

Products.png

To top it all off, Monique's amazing Scavenger Hunt Challenge made it so much fun to interact with those that were at Summit and those that were also in the same boat as me attending virtually. 

Andy even created the Ultimate FOMO Usie for those that were missing all the fun not being at summit! Who knew attending virtually would be the next best thing :)

UltimateFOMO-USIE.jpg 

As much as the virtual participation was phenomenal, I really want to be there in-person next year to get the full experience. I have the dates and location carved in my Trello board. We all know how time flies, we will snap our fingers and it will be time for Summit 2020. Can't wait and hope to see all there! :)

13 comments

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 30, 2019

Wow - it looks like you were able to experience a whole other side of Summit that I did not get to participate in. Summit is an amazingly busy event especially for those who want to see everything but are really there to stand at a booth and talk about apps and other Atlassian Solution Partner things.

Like # people like this
Warren Haines April 30, 2019

Nice Article - Thanks for the post 

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Fabian A. Lopez (Community Leader - Argentina, Florida, California)
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc  You were there with us all the time! The same for each one of those that were remote. I am glad you share this experience so Atlassian see the value of broadcasting and repeat the experience next year! Thanks!

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2019

Thanks @Kat Warner I have participated in conferences and events over the years, but none were as well done as this one. The user experience was off the charts, I was very impressed. I do hope to be there in-person next year, to meet all of you (nothing beats face-to-face) and I can only imagine the in-person is on a whole other level!

Like Monique vdB likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2019

Aww thanks @Fabian A. Lopez (Community Leader - Argentina, Florida, California) - so kind of you! I really hope they do repeat it again for next year, I know it isn't the same as being there in-person but I am truly grateful for the online experience as I (almost) felt like I was there :)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2019

Thanks so much @Warren Haines - greatly appreciated! :)

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc  a brilliant article! You summed up the virtual experience perfectly and it should definitely inspire non-attendees to make the most of it next year!! 🤩👍

I was positively shocked as to how much online content was available within the Online Experience. They went above and beyond!

Despite not being at summit I still had a GREAT time from the comfort of both my office desk and the sofa at home. I really hope to be there in person next year, but no matter what, I know the Community will still be a great place to experience it! 🥇🤘

And I LOVED making the FOMO USIE. So much fun putting together all the virtual buddies I was interacting with and getting that Scavenger Hunt task ticked off "in front" of the Badge Bar.

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 1, 2019

Thanks for sharing your perspective @Jodi LeBlanc ! I'm glad you enjoyed Summit virtually. Hopefully, we'll be able to see you there next year. :) 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc It's so great to hear the perspective of someone who joined remotely — thank you for sharing! 💖

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2019

@Andy - PTC Redundant thanks so much, since it was such an incredible virtual summit, I had to document it to thank the team that created that incredible experience for us! :)

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2019

Thanks so much @Cassie Mayes as much as I loved the virtual experience, I definitely plan to be there in-person next year :) 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2019

Thanks @Erica Moss I have used online apps/webcasts for conferences in this past, but there was no comparison to this one - loved it! :)

Like Erica Moss likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2019

It really was an incredible virtual summit and you've done it justice :oD

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events