Get the most out of virtual Summit by preparing for it.

I was disappointed to hear that Summit was canceled this year due to COVID-19 but Atlassian made the right decision.  Prior to attending Summit for the first time I was able to attend Summit semi-virtually after they posted their videos online.  Atlassian has been posting Summit videos to YouTube (Summit 2010) and organizing them on their website for years (Summit 2014).  Individuals who were not able to attend to be able to keep up on all that Atlassian has to offer.  Individuals who were able to attend were also able to view sessions that they could not attend. 

I am sure that Atlassian will be able to create an excellent virtual conference experience and will continue to provide an organized repository of the conference sessions. 

This means that you need to make sure that you prepare yourself to be able to enjoy that experience and get the most out of it. 

Here are some suggestions you might consider so you can get the most out of the virtual conference.

1. Make Attendance a Priority
    1. Block off your calendar – Even though you are not leaving town prepare for the conference as if you were. Update your calendar to let everyone know you are not available.  Clear out unnecessary meetings and even consider working remotely so people cannot drop in and distract you.
    2. Setup an out of office message on your email and phone – Let people know you are at a conference. Implement the same out of office communications you would if you went to the conference.
    3. Adjust your out of office activities – You might be tempted to engage in activities outside of work that could detract from the conference experience. Put the conference first.
  2. Engage with Others
    1. Ask questions – Virtual events allow for questions either through voice or chat. Don’t be afraid to ask a question and hopefully it will get answered.
    2. Take advantage of social media opportunities – Part of attending conferences is to network and get to know others. Social media allows for this to occur.  Don’t be afraid to connect on social platforms and keep the conversation going.  If you attended a session and all your questions were not answered connect on social media and ask the presenter your question.
    3. If there is a mobile application use it – Summit always has an app. Other virtual conferences I attend have had them so I am hoping Virtual Summit will also.  If they do use it to connect with others and engage in conversations. 
  3. Enjoy Yourself – Make the most of the conference and enjoy yourself.  

Can’t wait for Virtual Summit this year.  If you have not registered be sure to do so.  I am assuming the sooner the better, so they know what to plan for.

https://www.atlassian.com/company/events/summit

3 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2020

This is a fantastic post @Brant Schroeder!  I was already planning to do many of these things, though I hadn't considered using social media outside of Atlassian offering a mobile app.  I think I will make use of that if there isn't an app offered.  Thanks for the idea!

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2020

Great tips, Brant. :) I'm really sad Summit was cancelled, too, but I think this is a great learning experience and I hope even more people will have the chance to participate!

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2020

I'm probably in a very small minority, this is my first Summit, and I can't travel to the US from the UK normally (due to family commitments), so this might be the only Summit that I can ever attend, so this is awesomeness for me!

winning the big bang theory GIF

I've started scouring LinkedIn for people to connect to that I've 'met' in the Community, can't wait to add a few more! Should people want to add me on LinkedIn, feel free (my name is the same all over!)!

I'd love an app, that would be even more amazing!

Series 12 GIF by Doctor Who

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events