Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the Stride API support user auth tokens?

Shaun Hamman September 28, 2017

Due to HipChat not offering an official Windows Phone client, I created one using the REST API. Because the REST API doesn't support proper third-party client integration, I currently ask my users to visit the API Key section of their account preferences and generate a user token to enter into my application so I can access the HipChat API on their behalf with whatever permissions they choose to grant me.

Will Stride continue to support this workflow, or even better, will Stride support proper third-party client integration so I no longer need my users to generate their own API Keys? Due to the nature of my application, it is not feasible to design it as a HipChat addon, and it will still not be feasible to do so if Stride works the same way.

1 answer

0 votes
lauren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2017

Hi Shaun,

Unfortunately the use case you describe - implementing your own chat client for Stride - is not supported today and is unlikely to be supported in the near future.

That being said, we really appreciate your feedback! Keep in mind that if we see a lot of interest in this capability, we will prioritize it in the future.

Tim Howe October 25, 2017

@Shaun Hammanit's always frustrating to take a vendor's word for it and lock yourself into their proprietary framework, then be stuck when they pull the rug out from under you.

Luckily you should be able to rewrite your application to support XMPP.  As noted here, Atlassian made a strong written commitment to support *all* features of HipChat, and XMPP connectivity is a supported feature of HipChat (e.g., Setting up XMPP/Jabber clients for HipChat). Therefore iff Atlassian's word is good, XMPP will be supported.

Shaun Hamman December 1, 2017

@Tim HoweThat's true, though I've found HipChat's support of XMPP to be somewhat poorly documented and lackluster. Also, one could suggest that user tokens themselves are a feature of HipChat and thus Atlassian has already proven they have no intention of upholding their "support" commitment.

Still, I'll look into XMPP. Thanks for the suggestion.

Shaun Hamman June 5, 2018

@Tim HoweWell, it seems like the answer has come: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Stride-questions/Stride-XMPP-and-API-support-and-timeline/qaq-p/657424

Atlassian has no intention of upholding their claim to support existing features of HipChat.

Tim Howe June 5, 2018

@Shaun HammanAtlassian's lie was obvious at the time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events