Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Stride support XMPP?

John Watts September 7, 2017

My company currently uses HipChat. Some of us choose to use alternative clients. What alternative protocols will Stride support? Anything we should be prepared for when using XMPP?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
lauren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

Hi All,

Wanted to re-post this answer from another thread here:

So sorry for the delay here, I wanted to make sure I had all the right information from the Product team. 

Unlike HipChat, Stride is not built using XMPP and will not support an XMPP interface.

We believe that Stride is so much more than just a chat app, and XMPP alone could not support the all of the features we envision for Stride. 

That means all users need to use one of the official Stride clients, and generic XMPP clients will not be supported. 

That also means that any integrations dependent on XMPP will need to be rebuilt. Integrations built for HipChat are hugely valuable. In building Stride, however, we realized that we needed to make some fundamental changes in order to provide the kind of capabilities and dev experience that we wanted. We understand that it will mean work for developers to update integrations to support Stride, but we believe the long term enhancements will be worth it.

Thank you for your patience and understanding - this wasn't a choice we made hastily. 

If you'd like early access to our new API, please sign up here: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/stride/

Tim Howe July 26, 2018

That also means that any integrations dependent on XMPP will need to be rebuilt.  [...]  We understand that it will mean work for developers to update integrations to support Stride, but we believe the long term enhancements will be worth it.

Thank you for your patience and understanding - this wasn't a choice we made hastily. 

Yeah @lauren, imagine, if it had been a hasty choice paying customers might start migrating only to have the rug yanked out from them again.

Luckily you stand by your commitments.

3 votes
Dave September 11, 2017

We have bots and services that _require_ XMPP and we couldn't migrate from hipchat without this functionality. Hope this is in the works.

Tim Howe September 13, 2017

I posted a comment linking to Atlassian's commitment that all existing HipChat features will be supported but they keep deleting it.  Strange how they can delete so fast but have not found the time to reply here....

Replying to you Dave so you know what's up.  When they previously broke behavior for numerous users they closed the ticket so people couldn't complain collectively, then declared it resolved.

2 votes

Agreed, XMPP is essential.

Don't worry though, they promise it will continue to be supported here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/stride-documentation/faq-stride-and-hipchat-cloud-937165565.html#FAQ:StrideandHipChatCloud-WillStridehaveallthesamefeaturesasHipChatCloud?

Will Stride have all the same features as HipChat Cloud?

Yes, Stride will have the features you loved in HipChat Cloud and much more. Check out our How It Works page for an in depth look at Stride's features.

It's so weird that they haven't responded to this ticket though.....  Then again when Atlassian broke backward compatibility of ticket markup for all JIRA "Cloud" users, they closed that ticket rather than participate in the conversation.

Black Hat November 16, 2017

@Tim Howe It looks like they've modified the part you quoted. The funny/sad thing is, they give two answers to their question:

Yes, Stride will have many of the features you loved in HipChat Cloud and much more.

Last modified on Nov 6, 2017

So, yes, it will have all the same features as HipChat Cloud.

But, no, it won't have them all, it will only have many of the features.

I get the feeling that even the Stride team doesn't know what Stride is capable of at this stage.

1 vote
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 13, 2017

@Tim Howe I just wanted to let you know your messages got caught in our spam filter -- they weren't deleted on purpose and I released them as soon as I saw them there.  If you have any other issues, feel free to ping me -- hopefully the filter will now know you aren't a spammer. 

Tim Howe October 25, 2017

Thanks @Monique vdB.  I appreciate the followup.

Can you please confirm Atlassian's commitment above to support *all* HipChat features, and can you please state officially that the commitment includes XMPP?  It should be clear from the FAQ, but I notice there's been no official response here yet, even a month later.

Tim Howe October 25, 2017

@John Watts@Daveit's been confirmed that Atlassian currently do not plan to honor their commitment, and will be removing XMPP support (along with other features, apparently).

However the good news is that things are still in flux so perhaps they can be convinced otherwise.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 25, 2017

@Tim Howe sure thing. I am not on the product side of things so I don't know the answer about XMPP. But I will try to find someone who does know to respond here. 

Tim Howe November 6, 2017

@Monique vdBwhat have you found out?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 8, 2017

Hi @Tim Howe -- still working on finding the right person who can answer this for you. 

1 vote

John, they promise in the FAQ to support all existing features.  Then again I've unfortunately seen them break customer data and close tickets rather than reply....

0 votes

I posted a comment linking to Atlassian's commitment that all existing HipChat features will be supported but they keep deleting it.  Strange how they can delete so fast but have not found the time to reply here....

Dave McKenzie September 13, 2017

Wtf how did your comment get deleted. I got the email notification, it was completely innocuous.

Maybe it was the URL?

Agreed, XMPP is essential.

Don't worry though, they promise it will continue to be supported here: 

Yes, Stride will have the features you loved in HipChat Cloud and much more. Check out our How It Works page for an in depth look at Stride's features.

It's so weird that they haven't responded to this ticket though.....  Then again when Atlassian broke backward compatibility of ticket markup for all JIRA "Cloud" users, they closed that ticket rather than participate in the conversation.

Thanks Dave, glad to hear you got it.  Feel free to reach out to me directly via email in case these get deleted too.

I'm not sure why it would get deleted.  It's certainly an interesting moderation choice.  I've saved screenshots.

Intriguingly my other less committal answer with no hyperlinks got deleted too.

John, they promise in the FAQ to support all existing features.

For a similar experience, check out how they handled JIRASERVER-60832.

Tim Howe July 26, 2018

@Dave McKenziegood times huh?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events