Will Stride be available as a self-hosted product? Edited

I'd like to see Stride available as a self-hosted product to replace our current use of self-hosted Hipchat - is this in the works? All references I see about Stride availability are specifically for the cloud hosted version.

My team started using Hipchat a couple years ago after getting booted from Slack by corporate security. We have a self-hosted version of Hipchat.

A couple ground-level things Hipchat lacks:

1. Good iOS notifications - when you get a new post on a group or from a person, the iOS app icon gets a badge, but when you open the app, it doesn't tell you where the new post is - really bad experience making the app nearly unusable for tracking running conversations.
  2. Edit/delete post functionality - on the desktop app, you can't delete or edit a post. Sure there's the "s/" functionality, but that's a terrible replace for a proper edit capacity.

I'm assuming that Stride has fixed these issues, and I'd love for us to move to Stride if we can.

EDIT: I have reviewed the FAQs about availability of this via HipChat Data Center but I am left with more questions: 1) what's the difference between HipChat Data Center and HipChat Server (and which one does my company have)? and 2) the screenshots in the HipChat Data Center FAQ appear to be HipChat reskinned, which assumes the same functionality as HipChat currently has - is that the case, or will the actual Stride apps be used?

16 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Accepted answer
Maggie Roney Atlassian Team Sep 07, 2017

Hi Ryan, 

As you mentioned from the FAQs, Hipchat Data Center will continue to be our self-hosted team communication solution and we will not be releasing a self-hosted version of Stride. We're increasing our investment in Hipchat Data Center and have shared some of our updates that are coming soon. Read more here

One of those updates is a new iOS application (and applications for Linux, Windows, Mac, and Android), and one of the first improvements will be around improved notifications, specifically finding unread messages in the application as you describe. You can sign up today to be notified when the beta is available. 

Message editing is a feature we are considering post the launch of the new applications. You can follow this ticket to stay updated.

Thanks! 

Thanks Maggie.

Looks like the answer is "no", but the problems I noted may be fixed in the upcoming releases...as long as we have HipChat Data Center.

How would I know if my company has HipChat Server vs HipChat Data Center?

Thanks!!

Shayne Covey Atlassian Team Sep 07, 2017

Hi Ryan,

If you know who administers your HipChat Server/Data Center instance, they should be able to tell you which product you currently have.

Otherwise, you should have been given a URL to enter into your HipChat client connecting to the server at this screen:

mac_cyoa.png

If you take the same URL and enter it into a web browser, you should reach the web interface for your organization's server. Log in here with the same credentials you use for your client.

The way the next screen looks will identify if your organization has HipChat Server or HipChat Data Center, as illustrated below -

HipChat Server

hcs_web.png

HipChat Data Center

hcdc_web.png

I hope that helps!

It does help.

Except it appears we're on HipChat Server. And knowing the speed at which my company picks up new things like this, we'll get the new Stride-like functionality in 2025. :-/

Thanks. 

2025?  Wow, I am beginning to think we work for the same company, but in different divisions / departments / affliliates  ...

I'm still working on my Atlassian renewals that expired 4/2017, and it's now 9/2017 :(  No wonder the last person had to do a 3 year.

Too bad to hear that.

As a german company, this is a total show stopper for us.

Looks like we have to keep RocketChat then.

I really like the integration of the videocall-engine and the chat flags.

This is highly unfortunate. Since we use other Atlassian products, it is possible we would have used a self-hosted Stride. But it seems like we're stuck with Skype and Teams. Ew.

I would also like to see a Stride server, since corporate security and policy requires us to have an internal solution.

We haven't deployed HipChat since our users simply hated HipChat.

I'd also love to see the self-hosted version for the same reasons as above.

Cant have externally hosted due to security restrictions and HipChat wasnt the best suited for us.

Just want to add my name to the list of people who want on on-site version. Our Corporate security people won't let us use anything outside of our firewall. I wonder if there is any chance of changing Atlassian's mind?

I like to have a self-hosting option for Stride also.

+1.  I'd like to see an on-prem version for the same reason as Andrew mentioned above.  We have a tight security policy where we need the data to live locally.  I wouldn't mind testing it with our teams here, but if it's cloud based only, not sure if we'll get a full test out of it. 

I would also like to see a self-hosted version of Stride since most long-term server customers tend to stay server customers ;-) 

Stride has great potential. Our data also have to be on our own servers so self-hosting is a requirement.

Atlassian, please reconsider this carefully if Stride is what you say it is or will be. 

+1 for a Stride Server.  I will never get my company off of S4B on a cloud version - no matter how good it is.

We don't use Slack, as it is cloud only.  Even though most of our developers were clamoring for it, corporate security won't allow it.  So, we settled for a trial of HipChat Server. 

If Stride is cloud-only, then it really is no better than Slack, and here I thought Stride was supposed to be the Slack killer....

+1 also for self-hosted version, otherwise not sure what is the added benefit compared to Slack

1 vote

@Ryan Miller (and everyone interested in this topic) did you see the FAQ about HIpChat Data Center? There is a new iOS app coming, among other things, and it looks like you can sign up for the beta as well if you'd like.

I did, but that requires your company to have HipChat Data Center vs HipChat Server (no idea what the difference is). Also, those apps appear to be the existing apps reskinned to look like Stride, and leaving me with little confidence that the issues I described above will be resolved.

I'm pretty sure the beta would require Admin capacity, and I'm just a user.

According to this FAQ entry, it doesn't look good. I would quote it here, but then the site says my reply was not accepted and doesn't explain why.

Yes, I saw the FAQ.

It said that Stride deployment model is on the Atlassian Cloud, but then said "possible" that HipChat DC may receive Stride features.

Personally, my users don't want HipChat DC.  They want slack.  So that means we would want a completely different product:  Stride server.

We will need to evaluate stride of course.

Will Stride work with hosted instances of JIRA and Confluence? Or do all the Atlassian tools need to be hosted to work together?

+1 for a Stride Server.  MS Teams is eating Atlassian's lunch.

+1 Stride Server

+1 Stride server.

We have been forced to use Hipchat on premise due to security reasons in our organization.

Stride is the new chat tools of Atlassian. Not getting it on premise make us less confident on Hipchat future...

Just received notification today that HipChat Data Center is being discontinued as of July 26, 2019.

Since Atlassian are now partnering with Slack, is there any future for Stride?

Slack now owns the IP for stride and hip chat.  I understood from the announcement that they will be incorporating some features into slack.  I dont think either will survive as stand alone products any longer.  RIP stride.  I had great hopes for you one day....And you demo's so well at the 2017 summit.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 14, 2018 in Stride

Stride and Hipchat Cloud End of Life: Just over 90 days away

Earlier this year we made the difficult decision to discontinue our team messaging tools, Stride and Hipchat. The end of life date for Stride and Hipchat Cloud is quickly approaching - February 15, 2...

1,780 views 11 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you