Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stride desktop for Windows 10 "Cannot find module 'electron-devtools-installer'"

Mike Tocci May 21, 2018

I went to start Stride and got this Uncaught Exception message on starting the app. Then, strangely, the Stride splash screen indicates that I'm not connected to the Internet. 

To cover my bases, I uninstalled and reinstalled. Same thing.

I'm running Windows 10 v. 1803

Stride version 1.18.64

2018-05-21_0707.png2018-05-21_0708.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2018

Hi, Mike.

Can you check if you have NODE_ENV=development set as an environment variable on your machine? It seems like Stride is trying to start up in development mode.

We stripped out the development only node_modules when the client is released for production which causes the electron-devtools-installer module to go missing. The pop-up will appear in that case but it shouldn't block the internet or anything else about the c;ient starting up or logging in. Dismissing the pop-up should allow you to continue.

As for why the client complains about Internet connection, the Stride client uses the system proxy is to connect to the internet by default. So, it is normally caused by system proxy misconfigured. It could also be a firewall setting.

Can you discuss with your IT team to have a look at your machine's firewall settings?

Mike Tocci May 22, 2018

That's it!! Well done. I had set NODE_ENV=development some days before restarting the Stride desktop client. I deleted/set the variable as null and Stride started perfectly. Incidentally, and for a reason I don't understand, the connectivity problem went away. No network settings had been changed at any time during this process.

Thanks Ahmad.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2018

Hi, Mike.

You are most welcome! Happy to know that the solution helped to solve the problem. I can't confirm if the connectivity problem is directly related to the NODE_ENV. Quick check on electron-devtools-installer shows that it is a third-party tool that downloads extensions directly from the Chrome WebStore as mentioned in electron-devtools-installer. So, it could be something else related to the node_modules instead which causes the client to show the error.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events