Stride 2 Slack Migration: Can I just import the users and their data?

Johan van Langevelde January 11, 2019

The documentation for the migration give 4 options, I know. However, when I do the import into Slack, can I just import the users and their data and will it create the new Slack users or...? It's a bit of a grey area in that regard.. Not clear. Anyone any input on that?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2019

Hi, Johan.

According to the Step 3: Choose users to import of the Import Hipchat data to Slack documentation, it is mentioned that:

Add Hipchat users as new Slack members and send them an invite to join your workspace.

Parallel to the statement in the How are users and rooms imported to Slack? section of the FAQs about migrating from Atlassian to Slack page:

When email addresses match, you can merge a Hipchat or Stride user with a Slack account. You can also add users as new Slack members, create deactivated members, or choose not to import certain members.

In this case, the users should receive an invite to join the workspace rather than having the accounts automatically created, as far as I know. I am confirming with the Slack team nevertheless and will keep you posted as soon as I can. Stay tuned.

Johan van Langevelde January 15, 2019

Thanks so far. So.. if I get this correctly: When I add the users from the import I can add them as new or merge them with an existing account (or choose not to import the deactivated members / create deactivated members). Correct?

Looking forward to the last part, since I'm curious if it copies over the accounts with passwords or if it just creates them and sends them an invite...

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2019

Hi, Johan.

You are most welcome. Yes, your understanding is correct. Those users will receive an email invite to set up their password / access Slack rather than having their credentials copied over.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events