It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Notification Services

Is there a way for Stride to do push notifications even if it is closed in the background? I have noticed that I do not get push notifications if it is closed in the background. My temporary work around is I need to open the stride app and put it on the background. It would be great if the notification for stride is like Facebook Messenger or Viber that even if you put the app to sleep, the notification still arrives.

For reference, I'm using Stride for Android.

Thanks!

6 answers

I'm sorry but this makes no sense at all?

Modern multi device applications, such as Stride (?), can take advantage of the now very powerful notification APIs available on Android and iOS.

Modern applications push the notifications to _all_ devices BUT when one device has acknowledged the notification i.e. interacted with it or read it it is marked as read across the devices AND the notification is dismissed across the devices.

Thus reading and interacting with notifications on the desktop client would result in zero notifications being available on my phone but if I didn't do that they would be there.

There's one application that handles notifications across multiple devices worse than Stride atm and that's Skype. I always have Stride running on my computer and thus get 0 notifications which for me is very bad when trying to use stride as a central messaging service.

Using integrations such as alerts for various things becomes completely useless with this setup.

If this was the intended functionality produced by A/B and focus grouping you must provide further settings to enable customizable notifications. The intended result would always have been producible for end users when customizing the notification behavior on their devices in the os.

I don't see how anyone can recommend a messaging app _without_ notification functionality.

1 vote
Oji Udezue Atlassian Team Dec 02, 2017

Nicole/Andrew, you should get push notifications if the app is closed, as long as the desktop is not in the foreground and active. Sounds like a bug. Can you contact support to get sorted out? I'd recommend updating to the latest Android and iOS build first to see if you still see this issue.

Same issue here with Stride.  Working on Androids (Note 5 and 8 with updated iOS), and push notifications not appearing when app is in background (not logged out, and desktop apps idle) in rooms or 1-1 convos, even with these notification options turned on.

We had to abandon HipChat for this sole reason, as the need for mobile notifications is paramount to the communication of our team.  We love the user-friendly interface of HipChat/Stride, but this aspect is crucial for us.  Keeping our fingers crossed… 

Can we get a definitive answer from the team if you'll support always pushing all notifications regardless of someone being away or how long the app has been closed?  This is vital for my team & we'll have to abandon Stride without this functionality.  I love the product and really want to stick with it, but this is a dealbreaker for us.  It's what caused us to leave Hipchat too.

0 votes

Hi Andrew!

Push notifications for Android and iOS will be delivered when the web or desktop app is in idle.

We made this design choice based on a significant amount of customer feedback suggesting that users didn't want to receive duplicate notifications on their laptop and mobile device for the same message. We do our best to default to web / desktop if you're active there, and if not push to mobile.

Also, please note that if you are logged out of Stride on mobile you will not receive notifications.

Thanks for reaching out! Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Please consider reverting to the way notifications worked with Hipchat. 

If I was out of office I did not need to have Hipchat open on my phone. Even if I did not expect to be needed, my team’s messages to me would still be delivered and I would still be notified - even with the app closed. 

As it is now, they need to whatsapp me to tell me to check Stride, and WhatsApp delivers that notification to me even if I have it closed. 

The way hipchat handled this before was perfect and the only duplicate notification I got was an email advisory that a message was being delivered while I was offline, which I could turn off.

Hi Nichole!

It sounds like you might be experiencing a bug on Stride. If you are not on your laptop, even if the app is closed, you will still receive push notifications on mobile (as long as you are logged in)

However, if you are logged out of Stride on your phone, you will not receive the push notifications on your phone.

I would also request that we have the option to receive IOS notifications on every message.  My team keeps missing one another's messages since they don't get the notifications.

Right now we have to permanently set our status to away and even then we're not getting all the notifications because if the app on IOS wasn't recently active it seems to stop sending notifications.

Oji Udezue Atlassian Team Dec 02, 2017

Hey Bill, we now have per room notification settings. Just go to the 'bell' icon in a room and set it to 'loud' - all notifications. You should now get mobile notifications for every message for that room. That's not the default for everyone obviously - most people complain about noise. Also doing it per room, gives you flexibility.

Try that and let us know if that fixes it

That's definitely an improvement, but how can I activate this for my entire team?  We do a lot of 1-to-1 messaging.

They often message me throughout the day and I see the messages sometimes hours later because I don't get the notifications.

My "bell" doesn't have a "loud" setting only "all, mentions,only you"...

Having the same issue here. People are missing their messages often and not getting a notification. This is making the product unusable. We were used to having emails sent as a backup for unread messages but I guess this feature has been removed. 

Hi everybody,

we have the same issue here. Before we used hi-chat and received an email if no client was running (no web, app, iOS etc.) 

Now you miss messages (until you open the stride app again)  because the client is closed and you have no clue you are missing something.

Please don't tell it is a feature - for us it is a serious bug. Makes the software unusable

We want to roll it out for 150 employees at a customer site and we have to stop and switch to something else if the messages will not be forwarded by email if someone has (for whatever reason) not the stride app open.

thanks and kind regards from Europe 

Anthony

hipchat ... sorry - auto correction :(

We switched. We couldn't wait and not acknowledging that something wasn't working right wasn't an encouraging sign that it would be resolved. 

I used hipchat at 2 companies I was at before and loved it. Starting with a new company who have a lot of changes to make and I wanted them to get on board too. In retrospect, I shouldn't have pushed for review during early release. 

Same issue here, its painful to see messages after several hours. I can't roll it out to my company when its not showing up on their phones! Please changes or give the option of enabling notifications to work well! We end up reverting to whatsapp to alert staff to check their stride. Defeats the purpose really.

Same here,

No message notification on OS X 10.2.6 with Stride App. All notifications ON in setting, but I can't find Stride on the list in System Notifications Settings.  

I would like to add that we would also like the ability to get email notifications when a message is posted either in the room or individually. We have team members all around the globe; some are part-time and work when requested. 

With Hip Chat, even when they were NOT logged in they would get an email - this was great since Hip Chat was not always running since they are part-time.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published Nov 14, 2018 in Stride

Stride and Hipchat Cloud have reached End of Life (updated)

All good things come to an end - thanks to all our customers and partners who have been along the Hipchat and Stride journey with us.  As of Feb 15th 2019, Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached ...

1,735,423 views 25 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you