It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Mass deployment of stride - MSI or silent install available?

I was just alerted yesterday that our HipChat to Stride upgrade is this weekend.  This is a 50 PC environment where end users don't have the rights to install programs on their own.  I'd rather not "touch" each PC to install this if I don't have to.  Is there an MSI installer available so I can deploy this with Group Policy, or maybe a silent install option for the EXE package?

4 answers

AND, now I find out that this software only installs on a per-user basis.  I have users that roam all over so this is a complete mess.  Suggestions from the dev team would be most welcome here.

Have you heard anything more about this we are also a multi computer multi user location that just received the email that we are getting upgraded this weekend

Gentlemen, I don't have your multi-user install problem, but I notice that Atlassian hasn't answered your seemingly-important question.  My firm used HipChat to keep track of projects and the discussions and files that accompanied them, but there were less than 10 users ion all.  HipChat worked like a dream, did not hog resources, and was easy to get going when a new team member joined.

I find Stride a giant step backward.  It appears to have been dumbed-down somewhat to appeal to a wider user base, but I sure don't like it, and thus far have not used it.  I would suggest going back to HipChat for our own use, but it's my understanding that Stride is a replacement, and that HipChat will be abandoned once the changeover is complete.

P.S.  I hate Windows 10, too!

I worked with support to first of all get our upgrade to Stride cancelled/postponed, so luckily we are still running HipChat.  The install per user would not work for us we are a 20+ location, 400+ user (100+ users of HipChat) and installing per user will require us to look elsewhere for a product. 

The good news is with working with the engineers of Stride I was able to create "feature request" to get us an actual installer just like HipChat used.

Feature request "Allow admin to choose installation environment for Stride"

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STRIDE-1985

I never heard back other than them referring to the same feature request.  The client I'm working with is migrating to a new VoIP phone system that also includes an IM client, so they'll be abandoning Stride in April anyway.  The timing on it sure stinks.  I wish I would have thought to ask for a delayed "upgrade".

Yeah our current VoIP phone system has an upgrade to integrate IM and Web Conferencing. The problem is they've been dragging there feet getting the system tested and ready for deployment.  So we're hoping to either have that ready by the time we are forced to switch to Stride or at lease have Strides issues worked out so that it will actually work for us.

I am deploying on RDP Servers.  Why would you install this in a users appdata folder?  How am I expected to deploy this to 75 users across multiple RDP servers?

Not to mention that many businesses don't allow applications to run from AppData via AppLocker, as another layer of security against ransomware.

Nobody answered, so I had to spend a few hours deploying this by hand.  :-/

If you are looking for the command line for the silent installer it is the same as hipchat. For example

Stride64.exe /VERYSILENT

I tried this myself, and it is very quick to install. 

I'm also frustrated that Stride installs in the AppData folder, but instead of manually installing this for each user, I used the silent install command that Shane Dyer mentioned using our Quest KACE Deployment Appliance.

The one difference I found in my testing and deployment is that the path when doing a silent install is different than the AppData folder within the user's profile.  For those curious, here is the path that it installed to:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Stride

After initial install when you close out of it, it doesn't appear in the App list within the Start Menu, so you have to pin the app either to taskbar, Start Menu, or create a shortcut from the path above and paste it into the default location in Windows so that it appears in the App list within the Start Menu.

The path for this is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Stride

Stride and Hipchat Cloud have reached End of Life (updated)

All good things come to an end - thanks to all our customers and partners who have been along the Hipchat and Stride journey with us.  As of Feb 15th 2019, Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached ...

2,413,417 views 25 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you