It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to make Stride run in background like HipChat

Running on a desktop computer under Windows 10s, HipChat could start automatically with Windows and run 'in the background' with a small icon in the Notification Area of the tray.  Clicking that icon brought the program into view instantly, and anytime HipChat was minimized it remained ready to pop back up quickly.

Stride, on the other hand, needs to be started manually like any other .exe program, takes a short time to load fully, and uses about twice the system memory as its predecessor.  Stride also maintains a large tab in the usually-cluttered main system tray.  Stride can be minimized, of course, but when closed (with the X in the upper corner) it evidently continues to run, using the same amount of memory, helpfully remaining able to accept incoming messages.  But to bring Stride back on screen, either to reply or to begin a message, the desktop icon has to be double-clicked once again.  Then, instead of reopening the running program and showing the Stride screen instantly, the program appears to restart completely, taking a good ten seconds (in my case) to come onto the screen.

I am a bit concerned over the resources that Stride consumes to do the same job that HipChat did admirably with half.  Stride uses about four times the memory of Skype, for instance, and more than twice what my email client program needs.  For those of us who do not require all the bells and whistles of Stride, might there be a 'StrideLite®' version in the offing?

1 answer

0 votes
lauren Atlassian Team Feb 07, 2018

Hi Jim,

Right now we don't have the option to automatically start Stride when you start your computer - you can watch this ticket to see if/when we have any updates there https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STRIDE-37

It's something that we've recently kicked off, but I'm not sure we have any timelines to give you. I think you can manually add a shortcut file to the startup folder for Stride, if you wanted to set it up yourself in the meantime. 

If the app is reloading when you restore from clicking the system tray icon, that is a probably a bug, as it's not supposed to be behaving that way! For that issue I would reach out to Support.

While Stride does use quite a bit of resources, we are doing everything possible to minimize that footprint.

Thank you for reaching out and thank you for your patience! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Stride

Stride and Hipchat Cloud have reached End of Life (updated)

All good things come to an end - thanks to all our customers and partners who have been along the Hipchat and Stride journey with us.  As of Feb 15th 2019, Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached ...

2,421,833 views 26 26
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you