Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you delete an uploaded file?

Chris Martin March 28, 2018

I'm looking to delete an file I uploaded on accident.  It was not sent in a message as I realized I uploaded the wrong file.  How can this be done?

3 answers

1 vote
Nágila Marques
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2018

Hi Chris, 

In order to delete a message of a file in a chat, follow the steps below:

1. Next to the file to be deleted, click on the option below and click on Delete message:

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 12.06.34.png

You'll be prompted to confirm if you would like to delete the file and then you just need to hit "Delete message" option again ;) 

Thank you!

Chris Martin March 29, 2018

Thanks for responding!   However, I was asking about deleting uploaded files, not deleting messages.  

If I click on the paperclip icon, it goes to a pop-up with Recent Uploads and there are files there that I want deleted.  They aren't in Dropbox or Google Drive.  I'm not sure where they exist (I think in HipChat they went to some unknown AWS S3 bucket). 

Also note that I tried deleting a message with one of those files to see if the file gets deleted as well, and it does not.  The file is still available in the Recent Uploads choices.

Nágila Marques
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2018

Hi Chris, 

To delete messages or files it's the same process. 

We do have an opened bug related to deleted files not being deleted in the sidebar after its deleted from the chat:

Chris Martin April 4, 2018

But what if the file uploaded never got sent in a message? 

Also, if you click the paperclip (right by the message box), all uploaded files are still there.  That's what I would like to remove.

0 votes
Lorna June 7, 2018

I also need to be able to delete a file I uploaded. I deleted the message, but the file is still there. 

0 votes
Marc Lindsay May 24, 2018

+1, I desperately need this functionality

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events