It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I only receive a Stride notification in my toolbar when receiving a personal or here message

In Hip Chat I was able to configure notifications so that the icon in my toolbar changed only when a message was sent specifically to me, my name was mentioned or a @here/@all notification was used. 

I can't find a similar option in Stride: I either don't get any notification at all in the Tool Bar or it tells me if there is an update in any of the groups I have open. As I am a member of a large number of groups I don't want to be disturbed every time a message comes in unless it is specifically of concern to me. 

Is there any way to configure this in Stride? 

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Hi David, 

How are you? 

Can you confirm if you are using the desktop client for Windows, Mac or Linux?

In each room you have open, click  and choose one of the notification settings:

• All messages—notifies you every time someone sends a message in the room
  • Mentions—notifies you when someone mentions @here, @all, or you in the room
  • Only mentions of you—notifies you only when someone mentions you directly in the room

These settings apply to rooms you have open. If you close the room, we'll only notify you when someone mentions you directly.

Room notification settings are good across all your devices, so you just have to set them in one place.

Hi Nagila.

Thanks for your help. I hadn't spotted that there was a room level setting and was just looking at the app wide notification settings. 

(I'm using the Windows desktop client.)

Best Regards,

Dave

I am glad to see that this issue is not an issue for you at present, Dave :D 

Have a great day! 

Thanks Nagila. 

I may have been a little premature in closing this question, as after making sure the rooms I was receiving notifications for were set to "Mentions", I'm still seeing a red dot appear against the Stride icon in my Tool Bar when there is any activity in the group. 

With the setting at the "Mentions" level I didn't expect to see any change to the Tool Bar icon for an update to a group unless my name is mentioned or someone uses @here/@all.

TheSavage Atlassian Team Mar 14, 2018

@Dave – Currently the red dot is not hideable in the standard options. We have heard this feedback (even from some of our own employee feedback) and we're weighing that work against other feedback.

One related option, even if it may not be great for all day use just to remove the dot, is to engage Focus Mode under the Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 5.33.00 PM.png icon next to your presence at top of your chats list. While in focus mode, Stride will silence and hide interruptions (which includes the dot on the toolbar).

You can read more about Focus Mode in our documentation:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/stride-documentation/set-your-availability-939921160.html

Please please please can you re-enable this setting. It's so frustrating to have a dot in the toolbar all the time. Similar to above I'm part of lots of rooms so effectively I constantly have a red dot there. It results in me missing messages where I'm mentioned.

Focus mode is not a good work around. I want to be told when a new message comes in and this completely defeats that goal.

Yes!  I completely agree.  I always think I have a message now, even when other people are chatting in a room about a topic I don't need to be aware of.  I am missing messages that are actually for me.

I agree with the others - is there a JIRA item feature request we can vote for?  Please post the link if so.

Looks like this issue is close to what the original poster is asking about:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STRIDE-1981

As of this comment, the Stride desktop app cannot do what is described in the question. You can vote for this feature at the link below if you, like me, think this should be fixed:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STRIDE-1981

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Stride

Stride and Hipchat Cloud have reached End of Life (updated)

All good things come to an end - thanks to all our customers and partners who have been along the Hipchat and Stride journey with us.  As of Feb 15th 2019, Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached ...

2,421,831 views 26 26
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you