It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How Do You Create Another Organization

I'm trying to create a secondary organization, used for 3rd party consultants, clients, etc.  I cannot add them to my primary organization as they would have access to everyone who works for us.  Also, I cannot have competitors listed in the same tree with one another.  I'd need to create organizations to manage this...I just can't find out how.

2 answers

0 votes
lauren Atlassian Team Dec 12, 2017

Hi Tom!

It sounds like you are looking for guest access for specific rooms. That's something that we have planned for mid-next year. 

It would be great if you could give us some more specific requests/feedback on this ticket! https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STRIDE-3

We want to make sure we are building guest access in a way that works well for you. 

I've been trying to do this too and have found a work-around. (Our organisation is composed of a number of different companies which we wish to combine on to one platform but manage users for the companies separately.)

A site-admin can create a new organisation. There's a caveat to this though - they can only do so if they are *not an administrator of an existing organisation*. Note that organisation administrators are defined in the organisation's site administration section - do not be confused with the _administrators_ or _site-admins_ user groups which are separate!

So if there's a no organisation set up the first time a site-admin looks at that section they see the option to create an organisation and are made the first administrator of it. Unfortunately there is now no way for them to create another organisation _even though they are a site-admin and should have global access to see/do everything_. (This is why I think this feature is broken.)

Now what you can do to get around this is to ask another site-admin (possibly making someone a temporary site-admin, or creating an alternate account you can log in to) to go to the organisation section where, because they are not configured to be an organisation administration yet, they get to create a new one! Having created it, they can make you an administrator of that organisation too. You will now see that second organisation in your organisation list.

(Atlassian, there should be way for a site-admin to create another organisation at any time and configure the administrators of it. Thanks.)

I have just noticed that you are talking about Stride - I was talking about JIRA. I am not familiar with Stride but it's possible my solution will work for other products too so I'll leave my answer here just in case... Good luck!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Stride

Stride and Hipchat Cloud have reached End of Life (updated)

All good things come to an end - thanks to all our customers and partners who have been along the Hipchat and Stride journey with us.  As of Feb 15th 2019, Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached ...

2,421,868 views 26 26
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you