It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

HELP!! - Privacy in chat - I'm confused

I understand that I can create a private room and chat privately with those I add to the room. But we also have our "personal room" and if A clicks on B's room and says "hi" a chat begins between A and B. in B's view, A's name gets a blue dot. It's the same chat that is reached if you use the "chat with a teammate" button. What I don't understand is the privacy of such a chat. Can another teammate C click on B's "personal room", or click on A's personal room, and see the chat between A and B. Or does C's action start a new and separate private chat between C and whoever he clicked on?

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial Atlassian Team Jul 31, 2018

Hi, Steve.

While it can be pretty confusing at times, allow me to assist you on this:

"I understand that I can create a private room and chat privately with those I add to the room"

Yes, that is correct. This is mentioned in the Create Stride rooms documentation. "If you need to keep things close, select the Private checkbox. Only people added to the room will be able to find and open it. Otherwise, it'll be a public room and anyone on your team can open it. "

'It's the same chat that is reached if you use the "chat with a teammate" button'

This is considered either as a 1-1 chat (if you only add 1 user) OR a chat between users (up to 7 participants) instead of a room.

"Can another teammate C click on B's "personal room", or click on A's personal room, and see the chat between A and B. Or does C's action start a new and separate private chat between C and whoever he clicked on?"

1-1 conversation is private between 2 users and user C cannot view the conversation between A & B. So, the action of user C will start a new, separate conversation between him / her and the user that was clicked on.

Hope that helps. Feel free to let me know if you are unclear with any of the explanation provided. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Stride

Stride and Hipchat Cloud have reached End of Life (updated)

All good things come to an end - thanks to all our customers and partners who have been along the Hipchat and Stride journey with us.  As of Feb 15th 2019, Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached ...

2,421,414 views 26 26
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you