Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Stride require Chrome to ALLOW third-party cookies?

Steve Gale January 3, 2018

I'm trying to setup a Stride trial for my company to use before we switch over from HipChat.

After choosing a company name I get the following error screen:Capture.PNGIn the troubleshooting setups page, the possible cause here could be blocking third-party cookies (Which we absolutely want to have enabled, as an organization, and as citizens of the internet.)

I get that you're using cookies from *.stride.com and *.atlassian.com

Does Stride require this option to be disabled in Chrome?

1 answer

0 votes
lauren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2018

Hi Steve,

Yes, Stride requires cookies the web app. 

If you want to restrict third party cookies for other sites will need to add exceptions for *.atlassian.com and *.atlassian.io - those are the only ones that need to work. 

Of course, you could download the web app if you wanted to avoid the issue entirely. 

I hope that helps!

Maurice Kirejczyk June 7, 2018

Most sites request first-party cookies which are not blocked but stride requires the use of third-party cookies that are almost exclusively used by advertisers and trackers.

Why does stride/atlassian require this when almost every other site does not?

Steve Gale June 8, 2018

My guess is Atlassian is making some money from those advertisers by selling/leasing the data to them. If using this product was not mandated by our business, we would all be using Slack.

You can still block third-party cookies if you whitelist [*.]atlassian.com and [*.]atlassian.io which is what I did to get this setup.

ChrisCo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2018

We do not use 3rd party cookies for advertising, it is used for our identification / authentication provider to log you in to our products. Since the identity host (id.atlassian.com) is a different domain name than the product (stride.com) the browser thinks it's from a 3rd party.

Steve Gale July 2, 2018

Why would Atlassian architect their authentication like this when browsers are moving to disabling third party cookies by default? (note: Safari is doing this already) Branding a product is one thing, but is that worth making it harder to use for anyone that disables third party cookies?

There is no legitimate use for third party cookies other than tracking and surveillance.

Axel Heider July 25, 2018

@Steve Gale: fully agree with you, this is a bad idea. There are other solutions to solve this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events