Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differnces between Stride and HipChat DataCenter?

Noel Brady September 20, 2017

Large company actively looking at HipChat Data Center for security, size, support purposes but now Stride is coming?  What are the differences and why released so quickly after Data Center?  What product should we be looking at for Large Company not permitted to use Basic. 

Thanks, Noel

2 answers

2 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2017

I spoke with members of the product team at Summit last week about this.  HipChat Datacenter will continue on its current path for the foreseeable future.  HipChat Cloud is deprecated and Stride will be replacing it.  Given that Stride hasn't been officially released, I doubt you will get much more clarity around this for now.

The release of HipChat Datacenter was to address availability and scalability concerns of large enterprises. I don't think the release of it has/had anything to do with Stride. 

I'm not sure how much that helps, but I didn't get the impression that HipChat Datacenter will be going away any time soon or that a self-hosted version of Stride is on the horizon.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2017

I got pretty much the same impression Dave did.  Although I'd have been a little stronger on "there will be no Stride for Server"

1 vote
Maggie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2017

Hi Noel, 

Like others mentioned, there will be no Stride on-premise offering.

Hipchat Data Center is our on-premise team communication offering. While Stride is our cloud team communication offering. If you have specific requirements or need to host it yourself, we recommend Hipchat Data Center. If not, we recommend Stride.

There will be many similarities between the products, however, there will not be complete feature parity as Hipchat Data Center is prioritizing the needs of our on-premise customers while Stride will prioritize the needs of our cloud customers. 

You can read about some features coming soon to Hipchat Data Center here (https://www.atlassian.com/blog/hipchat/hipchat-data-center-performance-at-scale) or you can check out our Stride and Hipchat Data Center FAQ (https://confluence.atlassian.com/stride-documentation/faq-stride-and-hipchat-data-center-937165566.html) for more information.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Maggie 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events