It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

[Android] How do I get notifications to work when app is in background?

My entire team all has this very same exact problem across multiple devices and android versions. Every singe one of them reports that they're not getting notifications from this app, and even within my testing, as soon as I open another program (say my email) I no longer receive notifications. Only if the app is open or I press the home button will it work.

Is there some setting hidden that none of us can find, or does the android apk just not stay active in the background for notifications? This is an essential functionality that without, this software is simply useless for us.

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Kacey,

I would like to gather more details regarding the issue your team is experiencing:

• While Stride app on mobile is running in the background and NOT receiving notifications, is the desktop or web app status set to away? Notifications will only be sent to the mobile app if your status is set to away/idle or offline in other devices.
  • Could you please try closing all Stride active sessions > Log in again to the mobile app > Let the app run in the background > Ask a colleague to send you a 1-1 message. Also, make sure all notification settings are enabled.

Thank you!

Most of them don't have a computer for it to be running on, they've been using GroupMe, but we(IT) want a solution that we have more control over. From the testing I have done, usually it works, sometimes it doesn't. If I have the desktop app open in seemingly any status, I do not get notifications on my phone at all. I haven't messed around with it too much because it seems to just be a broken or bad design to me where if I walk away from my desk, I won't automatically get notifications twinned on my phone.

It seems like the notification design of Stride is just poor. As a communications tool, the notifications should just work, by default without needing to teach everyone how to enable them and make sure each and everyone's device is working correctly. I really don't have much spare time to deal with trying to support a 3rd party program that I don't even use with my team.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Stride

Stride and Hipchat Cloud have reached End of Life (updated)

All good things come to an end - thanks to all our customers and partners who have been along the Hipchat and Stride journey with us.  As of Feb 15th 2019, Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached ...

2,421,840 views 26 26
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you