Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Opportunity for Atlassian? Release Stride as FOSS

James Craig July 27, 2018

First, Commendations are due to the entire Atlassian Team

One of the first thoughts that came to mind when I saw the announcement was how far the Stride product has come in a short period of time.   A little familiarity with the underlying Stride starting components and my own experience in both global industrial and startup Software Engineering development, delivery and support leaves me with a strong sense a respect for what you have accomplished.    Congratulations, a job well done!

Second, Is Releasing Stride as FOSS a good opportunity for Atlassian?

If the leadership team has not yet done so I encourage giving the topic a look.

Just sharing a idea from the outside.  I have been working to plan a migration of startup work to Bitbucket + the Atlassian ecosystem.  Through this work I have become aware of how the open visible and assessible nature of FOSS around some of Atlassian's competitors have created a wide range of existing interdependencies slowing a migration:  

• Numerous technical interdependencies that will take a long time to replace. 
  • Visibility of other teams engineering and ops teams pipeline work for enables speed through ideation, validation & leverage components and scripts.
  • A higher availability of ready, environment familiar development and ops engineers

So much good professional, foundational engineering work and Atlassian ecosystem integration work went into Stride.   Would continuing Stride as a FOSS starting platform, entry to the Atlassian ecosystem be a good strategy to gain share and focus of startup investment and globally the younger aspiring engineers who will be the bulk of the work force in 10 years?    

Just sharing a idea.  

Again, Congrats to the Stride team!  

Best to All.

James

1 comment

Steve August 9, 2018

Yes!  Implementing a communications tool is a significant effort, and then to have it killed so quickly is quite a punch in the guts. Atlassian, please consider open-sourcing Stride.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events