#StrideOn

Dear Community,

Today, we announced that we are launching Stride, the newest member of the Atlassian Cloud family. Stride is the complete cloud communication solution that empowers teams to talk less and do more.

Devices.png

You may be asking, what about HipChat Cloud? HipChat Cloud has given us a lot of experience over the past 10 years, but team communication has become a more critical backbone to the success of a business - so we took a step back to reimagine what it meant to stay connected with your team, while also staying focused on your work. Stride is the answer. Built from the ground up, Stride has the pieces we love about HipChat Cloud plus the features that will carry your team into the future of work. From native voice and video conferencing to built-in collaboration tools, Stride is fast, reliable, and empowers teams to not just talk but take action together.

Not only will HipChat Data Center continue to be Atlassian's self-hosted team communication offering, but we are deeply committed to maintaining and investing in its future by focusing more on scalability and performance for our self-hosted teams. You can learn more about our exciting new updates with HipChat Data Center here.

Stride will be available to the public soon, and we hope you're as excited as we are to once again change the way teams communicate. In the meantime, feel free to visit our FAQs to answer any questions you my have.

Cheers,

The Stride & HipChat Data Center Teams

17 comments

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2017

Looks great, cant wait for you to switch us to this new platform

Arthur Csertus September 22, 2017

My team and I can't wait to get our hands on it! 😃

Claudio Saucedo January 4, 2018

Happy new year guys! All the best of luck to the Stride team!

We are really excited on what the platform brings to the chat ecosystem and will definitely make a positive impact for teams that use it.

With that in mind, please give us your feedback on the bot we launched for teams looking for an app to help them with their Daily Stand-up's.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/standbot-3d80d0a8-5099-4b0d-a650-aa5d3e92ee50/cloud/overview

:D

Tahir Qazi January 10, 2018

We have been using the beta for more than a month now and we LOVE it. It was absolutely worth the wait. Can't wait to see more enhancements and removal of the 25 member limit.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 10, 2018

@Tahir Qazi I'm so glad to hear that!

David Holman January 11, 2018

Ugh. Stride has been a let down on almost every front. It looks nice, it's just so far behind the curve. I can't get my team to live with it any longer. 👋

Tahir Qazi January 11, 2018

@David Holman, would be curious to know what specifically are you having issues with? We have really had an excellent experience so far. Other than occasional video quality issues, we have not found any problems.

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2018

Same here, we have had a really great experience so far. Great audio and video quality, easy to use and even our non technical users have had no issues joining in meetings etc. I see this product only getting better.  Its such a relief to get away from the audio issues we used to get with Skype. 

David Holman January 11, 2018

If you're used to Skype or HipChat, Stride would feel like an upgrade. The biggest gap compared to HC is lack of integration within the Atlassian suite. That should have been an MVP feature set. But otherwise, it is much nicer to use.

But if you've been on Slack for any period of time, you'll probably feel like you're giving up a lot. Little things like how much nicer starring and pinning are than decisions and tasks; or how much better Slack's code snippets are (another MVP feature for a dev audience). 

In general, I've found that the team has a much harder time keeping up with the conversation compared to Slack. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something in the experience isn't quite right. Slack's threads and pinning help quite a bit with that, but that doesn't seem to be the whole picture.

We've also been trying to sort out why video in both HipChat and Stride are such processor hogs. We're seeing this across Windows and Mac machines, all current and with plenty of power. Slack, Skype, Hangouts, GTM, and others don't exhibit the same greedy tendencies.

In the end, it feels like too little too late. I hope Atlassian proves me wrong, but it seems like the last year or two has been too much about aesthetics across the board.

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2018

Good luck with Slack at 5 X the cost of Stride

David Holman January 13, 2018

It's a very minor cost for such a critical tool, especially in a distributed team. The fact that Atlassian is offering this at a notably lower price is an indication of what they're up against in the market, if not the quality of the tool itself.

Don't make a habit of pinching pennies when selecting tools. You'll often end up with lower efficiency and team satisfaction.

David Holman January 13, 2018

I just noticed that my detailed response to the question of "what specifically are you having issues with" was removed 😂

I guess Atlassian is trying to keep things hygienic. Makes you wonder about the mostly generous comments around here.

For the record, we gave Stride a good run these last few months. We even kept HipChat up solely for the integrations and did all communication (IM and video) on Stride. But our team members have used Skype, Lync, Hangouts, Slack, and others in mission critical environments. The final verdict: Slack is still the clear winner in this space.

I'm hopeful Atlassian won't give up in the face of this challenge and will drive themselves (and Slack) to greater things. But they aren't there yet.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 14, 2018

@David Holman the post you made was stuck in the spam quarantine. It's back now. We don't remove posts, but sometimes our spam filter gets overenthusiastic. Luckily I am watching this thread so I saw your comment. 

The Stride team honestly does value your feedback, positive, negative, or anything in between. 

David Holman January 15, 2018

@Monique vdB Thanks for the considerate response 👍 

I thought that seemed out of character for Atlassian. Glad to hear you guys are open to the good and the bad. I really do hope Stride makes a dent in the market and keeps the innovation moving!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 16, 2018

@David Holman yep, we have the "open company, no BS" value, so if we then censored community posts simply for being critical, that would basically... be the opposite of that. 🙂

Tahir Qazi February 6, 2018

The Stride platform has made a phenomenal difference in the productivity of our distributed team. Absolutely love it. It will be great if one could reply to a message or add an emoticon to it. I am sure something like that will be in the works... Does anyone know when the general availability is?

Zsolt Bicskey February 17, 2018

When can we have threads in Stride? It's killing our productivity :(

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events