What are some tips for launching and promoting a status page?

Jake Bartlett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2019

Once you’ve set up your status page, you need to share it with your customers. After all, a status page isn’t very useful if your customers don’t know about it. Check out some of these tips for successfully launching had promoting your status page and share your own tips and tricks below!

If you’re a current Statuspage user, how did you announce your status page? If you’re not a current Statuspage user, share your marketing tips or any questions below!

4 comments

Simon Erkelens February 5, 2019

First and foremost, the status page should be off site, you can't have a status page hosted by the same platform that's down.

Second, inform users before they even know something is wrong and let them know you're on it.

Third, keep calm. And give #hugops

Like # people like this
Jake Bartlett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2019

Well said, Simon. We agree! We're big believers in getting a message out right away, even if you don't really know what's going on yet. If something is obviously wrong, let your users know you're investigating a problem. Add more details as they become available, but communicate early.

shannyshan
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2019

+1! Thanks for sharing @Simon Erkelens - email me at swinter@atlassian.com so I can send ya a link for a Statuspage shirt 😎

Matt Cowley February 6, 2019

As a new team who are about to launch our status page (thank you Atlassian for the OSS support), we believe that it is super important for us to get the message out that we do now have a status page. Making use of our social media channels as well as our website and the GitHub repositories to ensure that we promote the page so that our community become aware of it and for all users to be able to find the page in the event that we have issue.

Whilst we hope that we shouldn't ever have to use the status page to alert our users to issues on our service, it is great peace of mind for both us and our users to know that there will now be a proper way for them to get information about the status of our service if it appears to be in trouble.

Like # people like this
Jake Bartlett
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2019

@Matt Cowley Thanks for chiming in! One of the most impactful things you can do to get your status page in front of your user's eyes is embedding it in web properties your users are already aware of/looking at (your user interface, help center, website footer, etc.)

Nick shared this and more tips for promoting & marketing your page in the article he linked below. I definitely recommend checking that out for some inspiration!

Like Matt Cowley likes this
Matt Cowley February 6, 2019

@Jake Bartlett We absolutely will! We're hoping that our status page will give our users new confidence to deploy their sites using our CDN as they can easily get updates about our service and its status at any time through our status page.

(Just waiting for support to sort out our subdomain and we'll be good to go!)

Like # people like this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2019

Thanks @Matt Cowley! We tweeted back at ya with info for a shirt 😎

Like Matt Cowley likes this
Nick Coates
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2019

I did a guest blog post for Atlassian on tips on how to market your Statuspage. I've implemented a lot of these over at Symantec:

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/statuspage/market-status-page-like-market-product

Like # people like this
Jake Bartlett
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2019

Yes! Excellent job with this article... a lot of good ideas in there, Nick!

shannyshan
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2019

We love this blog - thanks for always being a great thought leader in incident comms @nickcoatesuk. If you want more swag, you know where to find us 😎

Nick Cruickshank May 2, 2019

Hi,

We have just purchased our status page for our SaaS environment and in the process of planning our rollout to customers, customer comms.

We have incorporated the views in this post and have an exciting newsletter and user documentation that we have put together. I think it is also important to get your internal teams excited about it, your sales teams that speak to these customers daily/weekly, this will then, more likely, rub off on customers to make sure they use it for sources of information.

Regards,

Nick

Like # people like this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
May 2, 2019

That's so great to hear! Very happy the tips have been helpful so far. Great point about getting internal teams excited and knowledgeable about it, too! Let us know how the rest of the roll out goes :) 

Nick Cruickshank May 15, 2019

Hi,

We went live today, well as we are using access groups, I setup over 200 logins today using CURL.

We had some sessions with our services team, support team and sales team to show it off and get them on board. So now just waiting to see any feed back from our customers.

A question if anyone knows, when using Access Groups, via UI or CURL, can you see when a user last logged in or set a password etc? We want to try see how many people login over the first few days/week etc

Jake Bartlett
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2019

Hi Nick, I'm afraid we don't currently track or expose login events in the UI.

Can you elaborate on why this information would be useful? I can make some guesses :) but I'd love to understand your specific use case in wanting to see that information. 

Nick Cruickshank May 16, 2019

Well as we have just gone live, and setup about 200-210 logins, we wanted to see who has actually set their password/logged in so we can monitor the uptake of the users using the page.

Also it would be good to target people/accounts that have never logged in or set a password to remind them of the status page after a few weeks or a month down the line etc.

It would help manage accounts as well, as we are limited on the amount of users when using access groups, it would be nice to get a list of users who have never logged in, say in 6 months time, so we can contact them and remove the users if needed.

Is it possible to grab this information via the API / CURL commands?

Jake Bartlett
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2019

Hi Nick, I'm afraid we don't expose login events or password reset events in the UI or API. I can definitely see how this would be useful though. 

I've shared this feedback with the product team. As we work to improve Access Control functionality, it's possible user activity data like this could be introduced in the future. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events