Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statuspage.io webhook error handling

S P May 11, 2018

We have a Slack webhook that's used to subscribe to a statuspage.io page for a 3rd party system we use. On a semi-regular basis, we get an email to the email address we used stating:

Hey, 

We've detected a problem with your webhook endpoint subscribed to the [3rd party] status page, so we've deactivated the webhook. 

Please make sure that your webhook endpoint of https://hooks.slack.com/services/[...] is responding with a 2xx response code within 30 seconds of initial connection. 

Once you're confident you've addressed the issue preventing the webhook from completing successfully, you should visit the [3rd party] status page to re-subscribe the endpoint to continue using it.

I understand that it's fruitless having a system continuing to call a broken webhook endpoint, but given the frequency with which this occurs (plus the fact that Slack webhooks rarely seem to fail elsewhere) I wonder if the failure handling for broken webhooks on the statuspage.io is a bit too aggressive?

The manual process required to resubscribe the webhook every time this happens is quite a pain, and means that it often doesn't get done which reduces the value of the functionality.

2 comments

Leonard
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2018

Greetings, 

This is Leonard with Statuspage. I understand you're having some issues getting webhooks and Slack to work well with each other. While our environment natively supports Slack integration, this integration is focused on delivering updates to the internal Incident Management team and Statuspage administrators. As a result it does sometimes fail out as you've described when being being piped in this manner. 

We do not currently support Slack notifications updates for page viewers. I have located an open feature request for this, to add Slack and/or Stride as options for the Subscribe to Updates button. I went ahead and added this post to that request. It's something we'd like to add, but don't currently have on the road map. I do hope this information was helpful, and please reach out if you have additional questions or concerns.

Bharath Kumar Kappala
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2019

@Leonard  I tried creating a webhook from google chat into status page and I have the same error mentioned above, could you suggest why this might be happening.

Like Eddie Razmos likes this
jmartinspk May 3, 2019

@Leonard +1 request for Slack endpoints support

Bram Devreese September 3, 2020

any updates on this?

We have a subscriber who wants notifications in a google chat and is getting the weboook deactivaton.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events