workflow using branches to separate coding projects (bugs, features in progress etc)

Sean Allen February 9, 2012

I'd like to use keep coding projects separate, such as bug fixes in progress, and features in progress. I tried using the Branch button to create a new branch from top of tree, but when I tried to use the new branch changes were also applied to my original master branch.

Anyone know the correct workflow using SourceTree for git?

1 answer

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2012

When you create a new branch in git inside SourceTree, there's a checkbox that says 'Checkout new branch'. If you want to start working on this branch once you've created it, you should leave this option checked.

At any time you can switch branches in SourceTree by double-clicking one in the sidebar. Any commits you do from then on will be pointed to by that branch, until you checkout another branch. This is how git works generally, SourceTree just gives you an interface to it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events