why is my repository generating tmp_pack files

RachelleJanssen January 23, 2015

recently I noticed my repositories were growing in size. my staging branch, which was hosted on another server instead of a subdomein, grew up to 12 GB!!!

I asked the hosting company if they could help to find out what was going. It turned out that 11.4 GB was in the /.git/objects/pack folder.

I couldn't find a straight answer whether I could remove these or not.

but in the end I replaced my entire repository on the server. this time it only used 25 MB.

2 hours later it's already at 2 GB again, the folder generated tmp_pack files every 2-3 minutes and I don't know what they are or why they are created (let alone why they aren't removed). I never had this problem before with local branches

2 answers

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2015

This sounds like an under-the-hood git operation. You'll have a better chance of finding someone who knows what's happening on a larger Q&A site, like stackoverflow.com

0 votes
Mark de Bont
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2016

Having identical behaviour here with Bamboo 5.10.x

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events