Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

visualizing history in Source Tree

Sergio Castro December 20, 2011

Is it possible in Source Tree to visualize how files and directories looked like at certain commit back in the past ?

I have manage to see only a delta: a list of the content that was added/removed from my branch at certain commit, but not how the content of such branch looked like at the moment of the commit. In other words, I would like to see both the files and the directory structure at that point in time.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2011

You can press space on any file you select in the log view to get a Quick Look of the whole file at that point in time, or double-click the file to open it as it was in the default editor.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2011

Oh, I see - no you can't browse a complete snapshot of the entire repository unless you create a copy & update to that version, right now.

Sergio Castro December 20, 2011

thanks for the answer Steve. In fact what I want to see is both the files and the directory structure at certain commit. I think my original question was not that clear, so I have updated it a bit.

Blake Williams August 12, 2012

Double-clicking doesn't open it as it was any more, it opens the version as it is in the working directory. Quick look still works, but it's a poor substitute.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2012

Actually double-clicking has always opened the current version, the thinking being that you often locate files that you want to edit via the log or search panes.

But, you can already open the historical version in a full editor, all you have to do if the Quick View peek at the historical version isn't enough is to click the 'Open in' button at the top right of the Quick View window. This opens the version you're seeing in the Quick View pane in a full editor, which is what you want. This way, we can allow you do do both things - locate files you want to edit in the current working copy via log/search, and also see the historical version in full.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events