trivial branch graph

Jan Geertsma August 20, 2014

Hi,

When developers don't pull before their commit and don't rebase, they create trivial branches.

Would it be possible to graph it in such a way that the one who last committed and therefore branched would be in a new branch line/color.

In the example below (Date Ordered), the yellow commit was not responsible for trivial branching, but the blue commit after the purple commits was. So I would expect the yellow commit to be blue and the blue commit yellow.

It would help me to show, why frequent pulling and rebasing works best for us.

It's a minor thing, and I'm a happy_user of SourceTree (1.6.1.0), fixing this would make me happy_user++

EDIT:

I created an improvment, I don't expect it to be fixed, but at least it got a cool issue number
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-2000

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2014

My strategy to prevent these trivial branches is to always use the "rebase" option when I pull. If you are pushing and pulling via a central server, you should consider this. If you are using the distributed model, however, it will probably introduce more problems than it solves.

For some additional perspectives on the pros and cons of this approach, StackOverflow. Most of these say "go for it", and the only objection I've heard personally has been "other developers said it could cause problems sometimes," no additional detail.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2014

I expect this won't be fixed, as it would require making an exception to the way branches are drawn, which is currently "draw the branch with the more recent commit on the left".

Regardless of my prediction, I am 100% confident that there is nothing to be done about this behavior from the user's perspective. You might have some luck filing a feature request. If you do so, please post a link back here as an answer.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events