Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange insertion of whitespace after 1st character

david shave September 7, 2014

I am getting a very strange whitespace issue.

I am working with a local copy of a WordPress site with the .git repo in the wp-content/themes folder so all changes to any theme are tracked etc.

When I set up the repo it considered every file (apart from those in gitignore) as new files and I committed those as the 'initial commit'. 

Firstly is that normal? To have to commit all the files when setting up a new repo?

2nd - and this is the strange behaviour.

when I go to stage these files I get some whitespace inserted after the first character on many of the files.whitespace.jpg

I have the ignore whitespace checked so I am not sure what is causing this.

2 answers

0 votes

I found the file, but it is already set to true. Also this isn't happening to all of my repos, just this particular one.

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2014

Maybe the config file of the repo (.config in the hidden .git folder) has this set to false?

content of config file in the repo: [core] repositoryformatversion = 0 filemode = false bare = false logallrefupdates = true symlinks = false ignorecase = true hideDotFiles = dotGitOnly

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2014
  1. Yes, this is normal.
  2. This is most probably due to your codepage settings. (You use Windows, Git stores CR/LF with the unix codes.) Check your global Git config (usually at c:\Users\<your username>\.gitconfig). In the [core] section, there should be an entry that says autocrlf = true. If it is not there, or set to false, change it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events