sslv3 alert handshake error

na August 14, 2017

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch origin
fatal: unable to access 'https://git.abc.com/iis/App-Server.git/': error:14077410:SSL routines:SL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure
Completed with errors with errors, see above.

i tried change the security protocols  TLS 1.1 and 1.2 and turning on ssl3 and then off but nothing yet.

runing version 2.1.10.0 under windows 2012r2

thanks

5 answers

15 votes
Giulio Piancastelli December 3, 2018

I had the same issue after Bitbucket dropped TLS 1.0 and 1.1 support at the beginning of December 2018. The issue was fixed by manually upgrading the embedded git used within SourceTree (from Tools > Options > Git: Update Embedded button within the Git Version group) which is the git that the program was using.

Saad Sayed December 3, 2018

I am yet using version 1.8.3.0 of source tree.

While following your steps and trying to update Embedded Git, I got an error.

But what I only did is, changed the System Git by Embedded Git (Click On button 'Use Embedded Git') and now it is working.

Like # people like this
Leópold Kristjánsson December 3, 2018

I have this problem now with sourcetree (dec 3rd 2018). "Git Update Embedded" in Sourcetree did not fix it.

Like chad likes this
Leópold Kristjánsson December 3, 2018

I managed to fix my issue by

A. Updating Sourcetree (to 1.9) 

B. Go to "Tools > Options > Git" and selecting "Use System Git" instead of "Use Embedded Git".

I don't know if the Sourcetree update had anything to do with the issue being fixed. Probably not...

Like # people like this
sumerajahangir December 3, 2018

I have faced this problem with sourcetree (dec 4rd 2018) but now I have fixed it by apply following step

Tools > Options > Git: checked Disable SSL Certificate validation then OK

Aurusite_103 December 4, 2018

In my case just clicked on updated embedded git in Git option, it is resolved now.

Like # people like this
mkornguth December 5, 2018

Thanks Giulio. What you suggested worked for me!

JamesR December 28, 2018

This solved it for me. Thanks.

Dev Manager January 31, 2019

Thanks, that worked. I updated the embedded Git and then selected "Use embedded Git", and worked immediately after that.

Like c96 likes this
Thomas Haxley February 27, 2019

This fix worked for me! Updated the embedded git and everything started working again

0 votes
noamgr March 16, 2020

Perform the following steps:

1. Tools > Options > Git
    under "Git version", press "Update embedded"
  2. Tools > Options > Git
    under "Git version", press "Embedded"
0 votes
Karl Henselin July 23, 2018

I was able to solve it by running

git config --list --show-origin

and then seeing that I had a line:

file:c:/Users/user/.gitconfig     http.sslversion=sslv3

I edited the file, c:/Users/user/.gitconfig, and deleted the line [http] and the line sslversion=sslv3 and that fixed it for me. Reinstalling git and source tree do not remove the config file, so they don't help.

0 votes
na August 15, 2017

IF i try to "open in terminal" option it opens an cmd and then closes it. im unable to catch any errors.

the ssleay32.dll version is 1.0.2d

the libeay32.dll version is 1.0.2d

they are both under the AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\bin folder.

if I remove / rename the entire install of atlassian and then do a fresh install should it not install the lastest version of these?

na August 16, 2017

leaving sourcetree...to bad it was nice while it lasted.

all the same information to connect to my git server works under VS code.

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2017

Hi! That could be related to this OpenSSL bug. They mentioned the bug was introduced with OpenSSL v1+, can you check if that's the version you have, go back to a previous one and see if the error disappears? This was documented at Git clone fails with SSL routines.

If you're still having issues, and for troubleshooting purposes, can you try to do the operations using the terminal (instead of SourceTree) and let us know if you're also getting that error?

Best regards,

Ana

Benjamin Volkmann September 18, 2017

Hi!
This morning I "stumbled" into the same problem, that i couldn't connect to our repository due to that damn SSL handshake failure.

A quick internet search has led me to this page, but I was glad to fix the issue as it also occurred after re-installing Sourcetree and trying to connect to our repository via the terminal.

I installed a more recent version of GIT (2.14.1) and it worked again.

Best Regards,
Benny

Vaishali B December 3, 2018

Thanks a lot, Benjamin, after installing the latest version of GIT error get resolved

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events