Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sourcetree won't open - gcmw.zip error

Saundra Dick October 10, 2017

I double-click the sourcetree icon (blue circle, tree inside). I wait....nothing shows up. I kill the process. I try again. If I get something it is an error message about not being able to read the gcmw.zip file.

After doing this several dozen times, MAYBE I can get sourcetree to open with no error message.

The messages says "Failed to extract file - unable to extract D:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\gcmw.zip

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Callahan November 27, 2017

I had the same issue with the latest 2.3.5 update.  I went to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree, right clicked and extracted both gcmw.zip and mcmw.zip.  After that SourceTree launches with no errors.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2017

Thanks for sharing, @Michael Callahan! :)

Deleted user December 5, 2017

Thanks a lot this is solved my problem as well.

the problem was "Failed to extract" mcmw.zip

Like amitnale87 likes this
Mark de Bont [KNS] April 20, 2018

Unzipping mcmw-vx.xx.xx.zip did it for me

John Kroetch November 22, 2018

Extracted to subfolders in that directory... and it worked. Thanks!

amitnale87 July 4, 2019

Extract of zip folder mcmw worked. Thanks!

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2017

Hi Saundra, usually this error will happen because there's a username/password/2fa dialog open for git, which comes from the folder that the zip is trying to overwrite. Occasionally the zip might be corrupted. I'd suggest: 

1. Shutting Sourcetree down and deleting the contents of %localappdata%/Atlassian/Sourcetree/git_extras, then restart Sourcetree, that way there is nothing to overwrite.
  2. Ensure you're running git >= 2.14, it should be the right GCMW and ST shouldn't keep trying to install it. you can check this by typing git --version in the command line.

If you're still having trouble getting Sourcetree to open, let us know which Sourcetree and OS version are you using and send us a screenshot of the error message.

Cheers!

Ana

Artur Nebot November 21, 2017

Hi,
I have the same problem, but provided solution seems not working.

I was running git 2.14 but I also updated to 2.15 with same result.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events