sourcetree needs to refer to new location, old branches are still there

ericianfish April 11, 2016

We recently migrated our backend repository and had to make some changes in our local dev environments.  We are basically going to lose our branch history and starting over with a single develop branch.  The problem is in sourcetree I see all the old branches, even though I renamed the top level folder so I wouldn't accidentally edit the wrong flies or do something along those lines.

How do I get sourcetree to point to the correct (new) folder and get rid of references to the old ones?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2016

The top level folder name is irrelevant. If the top level folder contains the same .git folder, then you are working with the same repository.

I'm not sure what you mean by "branch history". Do you want to lose your entire commit history? If so, you can delete the .git folder, then use SourceTree to create a new repository in that directory. You can then commit the entire contents as a massive "initial commit".

If you don't want to lose your entire commit history, then I'm not sure what you're looking for is possible without doing some sort of interactive rebase of your entire git history.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events