sourcetree copy file from branch

Per Eghall December 1, 2015

Hi folks,

I'm trying to find a way to copy a specific file from one branch to another branch.

E.g. User 1 has been working in the Feature1 branch for some time. Now user2, working in the Feature2 branch, needs a file that exists in the Feature1 branch. Is there a "smooth" way of accomplishing this?

One "dirty" way of doing it would be to copy the file on the local machine (from working directory when the Feature1 branch is checked out) and paste it into the working directory for the Feature2 branch.

Best regards,
Per

3 answers

4 votes
d10 September 20, 2018

There is a clean and easy way to do this in Sourcetree without checking out:

1. Select the commit
  2. Select one or more files in the commit, right-click them, and select "Log Selected". This opens a new window.
  3. Right-click the selected commit and select "Reset Files to This Commit".

Done!

Bobby Gintz April 5, 2019

Works great!  Thank you David

0 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2015

Actually, I just realized, you can do this at the git command line with:

git checkout feature2 file2.xxx

I don't know a way to do it in SourceTree.

Andreea Oltean April 4, 2018

I am also interested how to do this in Sourcetree

0 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2015

User 2 can checkout feature1 and copy the file somewhere - anywhere - it can even just be to a different name in the same working directory (where it will become an untracked file).  Then checkout feature2, copy the file back to its proper place and name, and do "git add".

Per Eghall December 2, 2015

Tim,

yes I know, that's the "dirty" way of doing it. I was thinking more of a "quick" way of doing it directly in SourceTree.

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events