"launch external merge tool" is disabled on the "Resolve conflicts" menu

petebr June 2, 2015

I have tried every available config for external merge tools, beyond compare is my preference, but whatever I try the menu to launch it is disabled. I've tried each option on the preconfigured dropdown and a custom path direct to beyond compare. What can I do to fix this? I can't fix my conflicts!

2015-06-02 19_47_28-SourceTree.png 

4 answers

1 vote
sreekumar_menon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2015

if you select  a file that has code conflict , this option will be enabled. in your case (from screenshot) I believe that you don't have a conflict , that is why it is disabled.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2015

This is correct. Try selecting "External Diff" (It's above "Add").

petebr June 2, 2015

External diff does work but I can't resolve conflicts with it. What else flags a file as conflicted if not the conflict comments that the merging added to my files?

0 votes
mvalentiner December 30, 2015

I had the same problem.  I had to mark the files unresolved to get the "Launch External Merge Tool" menu item to be enabled.

0 votes
sreekumar_menon
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2015

My guess is that one of the previous commit had a merge and it was not resolved correctly either by you or someone else.  so the markers was committed to git. you may open that file in a text editor and manually remove those markers and duplicate code  .

petebr June 3, 2015

No sorry, the conflict lines where created in that merge. This is apparent in the screenshot by virtue of them being coloured green in the log view.

sreekumar_menon
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2015

if that was caused in the merge, revert it and redo the merge again or fix it manually. did you resolve conflict after merge, that must be unsuccessful.

0 votes
petebr June 3, 2015

I tried the same again and here is a larger screenshot:-

2015-06-03 13_21_19-SourceTree.png

I recognise that the file icon show "modified" not "conflict", but look at the change log on the right. 

What does "<<<<< HEAD" indicate ? is that a conflict or not?

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2015

Yeah, there was a conflict, but for some reason Git doesn't recognize it as one. Git should set an internal flag whenever the conflict markers are written to the file, but it definitely does not scan the file contents for conflict markers. Try choosing the "Mark Unresolved" option, or maybe "Restart Merge".

petebr June 3, 2015

Had tried "restart merge" with same result. Have not tried "mark unresolved" yet. How does sourcetree determine a conflict? It must be something other than "<<<< HEAD" etc.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2015

Git is responsible for flagging conflicts. SourceTree gets that information from Git. I don't know how Git makes the determination, but it is certainly not by checking file contents (that would be very inefficient, and wouldn't work for binary files).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events