Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Undoing commits" in sourcetree

Rourke Sekelsky November 13, 2018

I know this question is everywhere online and almost everywhere has the solution, but each time I try a different solution I lose my work when switching branches or something. I figure this may be from the differences in command line vs. sourcetree's UI. Can someone help me with this scenario?

What I want to do: move the master to the head, delete the throwaway branch.
I don't care if the commits on the master branch are deleted.

https://gyazo.com/40b19c085f49132889964c1e6460352e

I made some changes to the project I was working on awhile back, but then decided I wanted to revert those changes. So I was left with the master a few commits up, and then I made a new commit after checking out the commit where the branch starts. What I wanted to do was move the master to the head, but some solutions require checking out master and making a new branch. I did just that, making a new branch called throwaway, but ironically that threw away my commit where the head is - not sure why. So now I am stuck with the throwaway branch there, and no progress toward moving master -> head.

Thanks a lot!

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2018

Hello! So it seems there's some confusion as to what "HEAD" means. HEAD is a pointer to a commit, and in this case it's a pointer to that commit you switched to rather than the latest commit on a branch. Specifically, you're on a detached HEAD, which means any commits you make right now might get lost.

The easiest way to fix this is to create a new branch. This is probably what the "throwaway" is supposed to be. Once you make that new branch, switch back to "master" and then merge that previous branch into master. Once merged, do a push, and that "origin/master" and "origin/HEAD" indicator should now be back on the "Reverted to Controller" commit.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events