Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"This is not a valid source path/URL" in SourceTree (Windows 7) when cloning repository from Github

EnriqueL November 13, 2014

I did an extensive search about this, but I wasn't able to find an answer. I am posting it here just in case someone could help. So here is the thing, I tried to clone a repository from github (for example: https://github.com/my-account/my-repository.git) using SourceTree in Windows 7, but the following was displayed:

1) This is not a valid source path / URL, so I click on Details...

2) It displays:

warning: github.com certificate with fingerprint xx:xx:xx:xx:xx... not verified (check hostfingerprints or web.cacerts config setting) abort:HTTP Error 406: Not Acceptable.

I found many similar issues related to clones using mercurial, from bitbucket or other platforms...but wasn't able to find an exact one using github as the repository service.

More details:

-The clone command in command line with Git worked well, and the repository was cloned successfully in a directory that I chose.

-When I tried to add it into SourceTree, it also didn´t work, displaying: This is not a valid working copy path.

2 answers

1 vote

Ok, a friend of mine helped me to solve the issue. It seems that "fingerprint" is something related to Mercurial, and that is how he got to an answer. I only had enabled Mercurial support in SourceTree. In order to solve it, I clicked on Tools->Options->Git and then enabled Git on SourceTree!

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2014

Try to SSH to github using the SourceTree terminal. It should ask you if you want to trust the fingerprint. After that you should be able to clone.

Thanks for the quick answer Seth. I think I tried that before already and didn't work. I would like to test if cloning remotely works fine now. I think it does, but my repository is too big to clone it again using the Clone Repository option (I have in on local already, it took like 20 minutes to clone it through the command line). I am sure this could help someone in the same situation though. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events