"The server committed a protocol violation" logging into bitbucket from SourceTree

psmithateh April 20, 2016

Trying to Browse Hosted Projects from the Clone/Add/Create Repositor. I click the little globe icon and get:

Login Error

Login failed for your Bitbucket account.

The remote service said: 'The server committed a protocol violation. Section=ResponseStatusLine'

I got to this point because when trying to use the Clone string from the Bitbucket website I was getting an error that my repository was not a valid source path, but details showed "Recv failure" Connection was reset"

That led me to check another existing repository in Source Tree and I can't pull from that any more either.

So I feel like the root of my error is that I can't log in from SourceTree. I can log in through a browser with no trouble

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2016

What version of Git are you using on your client? I have seen the issue with the Clone URL string you get from Bitbucket have extra characters in SourceTree if you are using an old version of Git.

psmithateh April 21, 2016

My embedded version is 1.8.3 but if I try to update it I get the same protocol violation error. My system version is 2.8.1.

Maybe I need to re-installed SourceTree or test on a 2nd machine.

I finally got everything working from the command line using SSH keys instead of a password but still can't get SourceTree to play nice.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events