Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey)"

John Fricker December 24, 2017

Software installed:

• SourceTree 2.3.5.0 - from the latest ST installer.
  • (embedded) Git 2.14.1.windows.1 - the latest included with the latest ST installer.
  • Pageant 2012-06-04:r9551 - from the latest MSI installer for putty/puttygen/plink/pageant.

Today started out fun. I've been using the old SourceTree client for over a year, with key authentication via pageant. Today my co-worker changed permissions settings on the bucket, and I found that I could no longer access a couple of repositories via SourceTree - it kept prompting me for a username and password. Through the git CLI, I was still able to perform all the usual tasks on the sasme repository using username/password authentication.

In an effort to fix this, I updated all software to the latest versions installed. No dice, it still wouldn't work. So I created a new key, and add it to pageant and bitbucket, deleting the old key from both. I only have one key.

Under "Edit hosting account" for my only BitBucket account, I have "preferred protocol: SSH", as per the instructions. I have the green tick and "Authentication OK".

Under repository settings, I have my origin path. In there, the URL is ssh://bitbucket.org/~~/~~, host type is bitbucket, username is my username - the one that works through the CLI.

Everything is looking good, right? Until I try to do anything, upon which I receive the error message above. If I try to use the git CLI, I'm told that it can't communicate with my authentication agent.

How do I resolve this?

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2017

Hi

Is Pageant running, with your key leaded, in your system tray when this fails? It sounds like it isn't, but that might be too simplistic.

John Fricker December 28, 2017

It is running.

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2018

Sorry another simplistic question are you using a key or username/password for the SSH connection? If it is a key is it loaded in Pagaent?

John Fricker February 26, 2018

"I created a new key, and add it to pageant and bitbucket, deleting the old key from both. I only have one key."

@minnsey Don't you think it's terrible customer service when you ask questions which are answered by copying and pasting from the original question?

minnsey
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2018

Sorry, simply a mistake on my behalf.

Can you post up the error you get from the CLI? Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events