Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Error encountered" after setting up symlinks

AlecRust February 24, 2013

I've set up a couple symlinks within a repository (for example) mapping `/src/static/scripts/` to `/src/Web/scripts/`.

This works fine within the codebase and has the desired effect.

However, this seems to have messed up SourceTree and I'm getting the error:

Error encountered
'hg status' failed with code 255:'abort: path 'src/static/scripts/<script-name>.js' traverses symbolic link 'src/static/scripts'

I don't seem to be able to run any command since this error pops up as soon as the respository explorer is opened. Is there a command I can run to solve this (I assume re-indexing the repo)? I also notice that there's no way to run such commands from "Bookmarks".

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2013

It's a confusing error, probably one that could be more specific to the problem. Basically, src/static/scripts 'used' to be a directory and now isn't. So the error is correct, but not exactly helpful. I *think* the solution is to get rid of the symlink for that specific case. You should validate both paths are correct first. There's a good discussion here about it which may shed some more light on your problem in specific. The first question to ask is whether the linked directory exists and move from there based on that resource.

AlecRust February 25, 2013

Many thanks Kieran, that helped clear it up! I did indeed have to remove the symlinks from the repo (temporarily) to get this to work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events