performances issue with git submodules

bb temp June 12, 2015

Hello, i'm maintaining a git repository which contains 2 dozen of git submodules. I use source tree to do all the operations but it's extremely painfull.

• in the staging area, when i add an updated submodule S.T can hang for several seconds.
  • after pushing, the history graph takes age to update. sometimes i even have to restart the software.
  • after pulling from its origin, the grey icon that represents a submodule still has an arrow drawn on top.
  • the edit box where the commit messages are typed sometimes sticks for age until the caret gets activated.
  • when ST sticks, the process manager shows 0 activity.
  • in stagging area when i click on a 'not yet added' submodule the diff view takes age to display the 2 lines that show + commit<sha 54434343434544...> and - commit<sha646454646864>

Well, in a nutshell, it's a PITA.

Is there a magic setting to get rid of all these problems ?

1 answer

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2015

There are two options in Tools/options/general that might make your life easier: "refresh automatically when files change" and "check default remotes...". Turn both of these off. Afterwards, if you suspect that the data on your screen is out of date, refresh with F5.

(SourceTree is not very well suited for this task, because it does all kinds of automatic magic about submodules in the background. Git Extensions would probably a better choice, with all the submodule-related operations done manually.)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events