my "username" is very irksome and has to be input without my seeing it

Deleted user November 6, 2017

This is my first post.  I'm finding trouble understanding the Atlassian/Bitbucket thing. I saw this:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/How-to-change-username/qaq-p/4277

I'm on a Windows 10 machine using cygwin.  I have managed to set up a repo and to push to it... but I have to enter my full email each time where it says "username"... *and* the keystrokes are not shown: very irksome.

I think I understand that my Atlassian/Bitbucket username is not the same as my git username (i.e. the email address)... is that right?

As a total Bitbucket newb, would I be right in thinking that the site's user interface has changed quite a bit over recent years? The posts in the above thread don't seem to correspond much to what I see when I look at my "overview" or "repositories" pages...

Maybe I can't change the username (email address) I have to use for push to something much shorter... but is there any way to make this business less irksome?  E.g. make the keystrokes show...?

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2017

Hi! Let me address your questions separately:

Would I be right in thinking that the site's user interface has changed quite a bit over recent years?

You're correct, the Bitbucket interface has recently changed, you can read more at https://blog.bitbucket.org/2017/04/11/bitbucket-cloud-gets-a-new-navigation-experience/. If you're having trouble finding some of the let us know and we'll guide you :)

I think I understand that my Atlassian/Bitbucket username is not the same as my git username (i.e. the email address)... is that right?

You're right. To configure your Git username and email use the following commands, (entering your own name and email address between the quotes). These details will be associated with any commits that you create:

$ git config --global user.name "John Doe"
$ git config --global user.email "jdoe@atlassian.com"

Your Bitbucket username is the one you set when you first sign up in Bitbucket. Note that you can use the same username for both, but that doesn't mean they're related. You can learn more about it at Install Git.

Maybe I can't change the username (email address) I have to use for push to something much shorter...

Are you referring to your Git username or Bitbucket's?  If you're not sure, please send us a screenshot so we have a clear idea of what's going on.

Cheers!

Ana

Deleted user November 7, 2017

Thanks... !

Are you referring to your Git username or Bitbucket's?

It's the Bitbucket "username"... when I go push it looks like this:

$ git push
Username for 'https://bitbucket.org': [ I enter "mrodent33@yahoo.co.uk" without the keys showing! ]
Password for 'https://mrodent33@yahoo.co.uk@bitbucket.org': [ I enter the Bitbucket password ]
Counting objects: 19, done.
Delta compression using up to 8 threads.
Compressing objects: 100% (19/19), done.
Writing objects: 100% (19/19), 4.99 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Total 19 (delta 17), reused 0 (delta 0)
To https://bitbucket.org/mrodent/kernel
   8ec44b7..1c7eaa4  master -> master

This email address is not the same as my git user.email.  I have no idea why Bitbucket appears to have set me up with this email, given by me at some point during registration obviously, as a user name... nor can I see how to change it... but it is very annoying because I can't see the keystrokes as I type!!!

Please can you tell me how to change this to something a lot shorter and handier and/or tell me how to stop suppressing the display of keystrokes for this username: I understand why you'd want to hide the password but it is utterly pointless to hide the keystrokes for the user name, not least because it is immediately shown on the next line...

NB on my account settings page at https://bitbucket.org/account/user/mrodent/ is says that my "Full name" is Mike Rodent... and my "Username" is mrodent... but clearly the latter is not the one that I have to use for doing a git push... !

Deleted user November 9, 2017

If you're having trouble finding some of the let us know and we'll guide you :)

... yes please... ! :-)

... still none the wiser.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

Hi, I've checked our system and I can confirm that 'mrodent33@yahoo.co.uk' is the email address associated to your Bitbucket account, but it's not the username, the username is 'mrodent'. Can you try entering that username and see if you can push? If you get any error, can you send us the screenshot?

Regarding the key strokes, are you pushing using Sourcetree or directly in the terminal? In the terminal it's common that keystrokes are not shown, but that shouldn't be the case for Sourcetree.

Actually, if the account was correctly configured it shouldn't be asking you for the credentials every time you push. Can you confirm if you've followed the steps at Connect your Bitbucket account?

Let us know!

Ana

Deleted user November 9, 2017

Hi,

Thanks again.

Mystified! It works now.  You're going to think I'm crazy, and this may well be true, but yesterday going  push with username "mrodent" and with the correct password didn't work ... and going push "mrodent33@yahoo.co.uk" with that password did.

Today I just pushed using "mrodent"... and success!

I'm not clear about something: is it Bitbucket which is deciding to not show the keystrokes in the terminal (cygwin this is) as you type the username... or is this an inherent part of git functionality?  As I said yesterday, there is no real point in hiding the username, as it's immediately repeated.

As to not asking for credentials... I had a look at your link. I don't really know what SourceTree might be... I'm at the stage of still trying to figure out what the relationship is between Atlassian and Bitbucket.  Do I need to set up more usernames and passwords I wonder?  I'll have a look again tomorrow.

A "Dummies Guide to Atlassian/Bitbucket/SourceTree" would be useful to me!

Mike

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2017

Hi Mike! I believe you, weird things happen sometimes in tech :) I'm so glad this is working for you now!

I'm not clear about something: is it Bitbucket which is deciding to not show the keystrokes in the terminal (cygwin this is) as you type the username... or is this an inherent part of git functionality?

Bitbucket does not interfere with the terminal at all nad neither does Git, that's just the way the terminal works. In Unix systems it's common not to show anything at all for security reasons. To back up my answer, I'll link Why is the password I entered not visible?

I don't really know what SourceTree might be...

Oh! You posted this question in the Sourcetree product, so I assumed this was the main founder of your concerns. Sourcetree is a visual interface for Git. You can find more about it at sourcetreeapp.com (this is only available for Mac and Windows, though).

I'm at the stage of still trying to figure out what the relationship is between Atlassian and Bitbucket. 

Atlassian is the name of our company and we own a bunch of products made to empower team collaboration, Bitbucket being one of them. Jira, Confluence and Sourcetree are some of our other software. We recently launched Atlassian accounts too, this is a SSO service to allow you to sign into our different products using the same set of credentials.

A "Dummies Guide to Atlassian/Bitbucket/SourceTree" would be useful to me!

We don't have a "Dummies" guide, but we do have a lot of online resources! To learn more about us and our products, you could start having a look at our blog, some of our tutorials and our knowledge base. This Community is also a great resource of information, as a lot of our users share their best practices and tips here.

I hope you find this useful, Mike!

Have a good day,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events