Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it safe to remove untracked files from my branch

mallikarjun ithagoni May 7, 2014

if i remove untracked files then what happens ? is it safe to remove untracked files from my branch.

After commiting my changes , i want to create new branch but it is not allowing me to do.

2 answers

0 votes
mallikarjun ithagoni May 25, 2014

some times Source tree itself is adding changes so those files i want to delete.

finally i removed and working fine...

thank you all for answers.......

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2014

The only files SourceTree adds should be Git configuration files (.gitignore, for example). You can remove that safely, but Git will no longer ignore whatever files you wanted to ignore.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

Removing untracked files is deleting them, permanently. They do NOT get sent to trash/recycle bin, and (because they are untracked) sourcetree can not retrieve them by checking out the original branch or an earlier version.

mallikarjun ithagoni May 14, 2014

it means i should not do that or is it fine

Like Manuel Rivera likes this
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2014

It depends on what the files are and what you are trying to do. It depends on your definitions of "safe" and "fine". The shortest answer is this:

If you are 100% sure that you never ever ever want to have access to those untracked files, then you can remove them.

Like Manuel Rivera likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events