how can i do a partial pull in source tree

My Colleague has pushed 5 files in one single commit and push through source tree, I want to pull only 3 of them, I did not find a way to do it so in source tree, can you help

4 answers

If using sourcetree with git I think you can only pull whole commits and not individual files. Even if your colleague had made a separate commit for each of the 5 files, to be up to date with his repository you'd have to get all 5 of those commits which would still mean having to download 5 files.

If 2 of the 5 files are really not important maybe they should be ignored with .gitignore file.

If the changes were in separate commits, you could "cherry pick" the commits that you wanted.

SourceTree does not provide a way to pull in part of a commit, and even Git doesn't do that in a way that tracks the history of the change accurately.

See this question regarding acheiving what you're trying to do via command line (SourceTree > Terminal): http://stackoverflow.com/a/4316039/1476926

Hi,

You can achieve this using PULL tab which is present in source tree, once you click on that tab you will show one popup window and their you should select the where you want to pull the request ie Origin and select the remote branch. 

I believe the correct procedure is to branch at your colleague's commit, select the files you want from your colleague and pull them, then merge your branch once you've completed your edits within the branch. In fact, Git will merge your branch with the master when you commit and push. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

826 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you