how can I utilizes read-tree respecivele git subtree in sourcetree

Bernhard Weichel September 22, 2012

I have a library which applies to several projects. I started using submodule but I wanted others to simply checkout the project and get everything they want.

I played around with the following sequence on the command line according to https://help.github.com/articles/working-with-subtree-merge

It initially worked but I honestly did not really understand what I was doing. Later it happend that one of the consuming projects was pushed entirely to the library - which is definitely not intended.

Is there a fool - proof way to use read-tree or even git subtree with sourcetree.

Thanks in advance and thanks for sourcetree.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2012

SourceTree doesn't support subtree yet, only submodules. Subtree was an experimental replacement for submodules and isn't used very widely yet AFAIK.

Bernhard Weichel September 23, 2012

git subtree is a convenience script around git read-tree. git read-tree on the other hand is long available in git.

git subtree is now part of the official git sources (still in contrib).

However it is, all these things are somehow difficult to handle and a support in sourctree would be ammazing.

I currently start to create scripts in my project to handle these things. A part of help would be, if I could invoke these scripts from within sourcetree.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2012

You can invoke any outside script from inside SourceTree using Custom Actions - please see Preferences > Custom Actions and this blog post for details: http://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/2012/02/08/custom-actions-more-power-to-you/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events